QVC Customer Care

Re: What the news leaves out.

This thread has been removed by QVC because it is political

Honored Contributor

In today's Philadelphia Inquirer there was an article about Nursing Homes and the Pennsylvania Health Dept. 

One Nursing Home according to the Health Department had 65 residents that tested positive for coronavirus. In reality the number of coronavirus cases were 18.

The Nursing Home said they always reported to correct number of cases and had no idea how Pennsylvania Health Department came up with their number. 

Similar glitches were reported for other providers.

Trusted Contributor

That is not how I do it now, but what about the previous two months of data when the governments guidelines were to use scenerio #1, like you said, @Icegoddess ? There are no do-overs. I think the numbers, especially the initial numbers, are overstated.

dee

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Icegoddess    The virus manifests itself in many different ways.  This Broadway actor who has been so ill with it had to have a leg amputated due to effects of the virus.  If someone dies of pneumonia acquired due to the virus, that should be counted as a virus death.  The fact is, they wouldn't have had these conditions if they didn't test positive for the virus and have the symptoms associated with it.

@Kachina624  @bikerbabe the example given to the health expert was if someone had a car crash and died from those injuries but had tested positive for Covid 19 would they be counted as a Covid19 death and the answer was yes.  In fact, there was a case in PA where the coroner confirmed that a man fell from a roof and cracked his head open, but because he had tested positive for Covid 19, he was labeled a Covid-19 death.  It was not a question about someone who had a full blown case of Covid-19 dying from complications associated with it which is what you are referring to.

Regular Contributor

According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States. In other words, a person dies in the US approximately every 12 seconds.

So let's do our math!

Trusted Contributor

You do know of course that with statistics comes funding (tax money). So, yes, it is essential to have accurate stats across all the states. When and if that can be done is the question.

dee

@Icegoddess wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

To me, whatever is reported, either those who are wondering if it is over reported or those who think it is undereported, I'll still see it as a dangerous highly contageous and potentially very deadly virus that we all need to protect ourselves from.

Meanwhile, no matter what is reported, it will not affect the virus at all as it continues to cause many deaths and continue to infect many.

So I'm not sure why it matters aside from political reasons to wonder so much about the statistics.

The reason it matters to me is that my state did not have a large one-day increase in cases as the news is implicating.  

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady -

I'm sure you can't mean that over 91,000 dead from this virus in the US would be considered Low mortality,

esp. if one of those was someone you loved.

I don't know why you would make a statement like that. It has nothing to do with facts.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

In the case of AIDS, as the underlying condition AIDS is always used first, then the various manifestations such as PCP pneumonia, CMV virus, malignancies, etc. are used as co-morbidities. 

dee

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Icegoddess  I heard that a few months ago and I thought that it was not fair. Is it because they can´t pinpoint what did it or because it´s easier to say that?

The same with Aids. Oh the person had Aids but he/she died from Pneumonia.

@Sage04 I'm not sure the purpose. I understand that people who have Covid 19 might actually die from another cause that is actually due to or exacerbated by Covid 19, but the example given to the health expert was not this type of case.  See my response to Kachina624 above.

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

What ever happened to newscasters, newspapers and TV stations only reporting substantiated facts without promoting their own agendas?  Just want the facts and I'll make my own decisions. 

We lost that when journalists were replaced with commentators or former lawyers who have no journalism background. 

Respected Contributor

@Spurt 

Most of them aren't journalists. They should report the news without their biases.

I can't stand to watch any of them. 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

To me, whatever is reported, either those who are wondering if it is over reported or those who think it is undereported, I'll still see it as a dangerous highly contageous and potentially very deadly virus that we all need to protect ourselves from.

Meanwhile, no matter what is reported, it will not affect the virus at all as it continues to cause many deaths and continue to infect many.

So I'm not sure why it matters aside from political reasons to wonder so much about the statistics.

The reason it matters to me is that my state did not have a large one-day increase in cases as the news is implicating.  

Even 1 death is 1 too many. When did human beings become negligible and used for political capital? The fact that the death rate is going up at all shows the plan in place is failing and needs to be re evaluated

@reiki604 and that is exactly what the news is wanting you to believe.  However, the fact that a lot of those cases, and it is cases not deaths, were actually test results from tests taken 6 weeks ago does not indicate that the plan we have in place is failing.  It just means that they are getting test results in from 6 weeks ago. 

@Icegoddess  My beliefs are based in evidence-based scientific data. The fact is that we have over 90,000 Americans dead due to a new virus that has not been seen before. How many deaths are acceptable to you if this number is not accurate?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown