Honored Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

The truth is the truth you either believe it or find a way to manipulate it     many , many covid illnesses were never counted as many went two months without any testing at all.  Many are not counted now.  My daughter works in th ehealth industry.  You cannot  just ask for a Covid test, you have to have symptoms, been exposed by someone who tested positive. There is another reason, I forgot.

i think the numbers are higher than recorded  many people had it, never were counted, they either never were treated, got better.  In the beginning most were told to go home and come back if you were short of breathe, high fever and a few other things.

it is very reasonable that the numbers are higher now.  In a couple weeks the virus will either be higher due to lessening mandates, or it will take a corse and stay the same, diminish....then rise end of October.

it is my opinion some states are more concerned with politics, economy than they are with the truth and human lives.  I think there is a way to open up, but how do you deal with the authority haters, and oppositional personality people?   Time will tell.  As for me and mine, we are distance people wth a mask.  I have the luxury of staying home...so that's what I do.  I know I am going to die someday, I just would not prefer to die in a hospital on a ventilator in pain, or loosing a limb, or suffer with illness from virus the rest of my life because I took reckless behaviors intentionally to prove a point

Respected Contributor

@giova wrote:

Its hard to know what to believe. One source says the count is undercounted and another will say it is overcounted.

@giova   We just about know who makes which statement, don't we??  Nothing new about that.. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

I think it is fair to count it as a covid 19 death even if the person has underlying conditions because a lot of conditions the elderly and others have are considered chronic and manageable  and people are not going to suddenly die from them.

@lovescats  They may be chronic and manageable, but not everyone manages them well. I can imagine someone having high blood pressure dying suddenly from a stroke.  Or someone with cardiovascular disease dying suddenly from a heart attack. Or someone with diabetes slipping into a diabetic coma and never coming out of it.   So yeah. People die suddenly from chronic and manageable conditions.

and if they didn't have covid 19 when they died then it won't be listed as the cause of their death.

And if they did have Covid, it will be listed as the cause of death even if it is not what killed them.

It really makes no difference to me. I’m just having a conversation here. Somebody somewhere has a reason for it. Maybe someday we’ll know what that reason is. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Icegoddess  I heard that a few months ago and I thought that it was not fair. Is it because they can´t pinpoint what did it or because it´s easier to say that?

The same with Aids. Oh the person had Aids but he/she died from Pneumonia.

What proof do you have that one person had Aids and he or she died from pneumonia?   I find it hard to believe a scientist or MD made that statement.
Respected Contributor

Rumor has it our FL numbers are skewed below what they should be.

I wouldn't be surprised because of the high amounts of elderly & at risk (yeah, me & DH, too) and assisted living facilities here.

I doubt we'll ever know the true numbers.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

What ever happened to newscasters, newspapers and TV stations only reporting substantiated facts without promoting their own agendas?  Just want the facts and I'll make my own decisions. 

@mspatmac 

I am so tired of all these media people (I wont even call them journalist)....they just seem to be promoting their own "agendas"...... Like Sgt Friday used to say, "just the facts please....." Woman Frustrated

@Spurt  I don't believe/trust any of them.  

@mspatmac 

👍 👍 👍

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Working in the field I see the guidelines from the AMA and Medicare evolving since the beginning of the pandemic. At first we were directed to use the Covid diagnosis for the patient that tests positive, even if he/she dies or recovers and are discharged after renal failure or an MI, CVA, etc. To make matters worse, the Feds revised the guidelines to make exceptions for Covid from the original guidelines. I now use the underlying cause of death or the condition that brought the patient in, and not necessarily strictly Covid.

I've gotten a lot of continuing education credits in three short months, trust me Woman Wink.

This is the issue with the statistics. Many are inaccurate principal diagnoses compared to discharge diagnoses.

dee

Trusted Contributor

What I'm seeing is not strictly respiratory illnesses from this virus. There is Sepsis, Renal failure, pulmonary embolism, DVT,clotting then hemorrhaging from using anticoagulants to deal with the clot. It is pretty involved.

dee

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Icegoddess    The virus manifests itself in many different ways.  This Broadway actor who has been so ill with it had to have a leg amputated due to effects of the virus.  If someone dies of pneumonia acquired due to the virus, that should be counted as a virus death.  The fact is, they wouldn't have had these conditions if they didn't test positive for the virus and have the symptoms associated with it.

Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe 

Preach it, Sister. Thank you for what you do. How is your face holding up from the N95 respirators?

dee

@bikerbabe wrote:
All I know is that at work we have 50% of our 36 bed MICU with COVID patients. Almost all on a vent. And this is down from a couple weeks ago. Another 50 or so patients on the floor. COVID patients die from renal failure, heart failure, heart attack, respiratory failure, stroke. Pick one. All complications from the virus. A patient might die from renal failure, but it was the virus that caused the kidneys to fail. Just because someone has a chronic condition, just mean that they were so sick they would have die yesterday if it weren’t from the damage done by the virus. I see too many people dismissing deaths without really understanding what is going on. I wish people had to spend one day as a nurse and see what we see. It’s not like the flu.

I just saw a comment on AIDS. One of the leading causes of death due to AIDS is pneumonia - often a rare fungal pneumonia. Why? Because AIDS destroys the immune system leading to what are called opportunistic infections. Yes, the person died of pneumonia, but it was due to the damage caused by HIV infection.

Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

What ever happened to newscasters, newspapers and TV stations only reporting substantiated facts without promoting their own agendas?  Just want the facts and I'll make my own decisions. 

-----------------

Absolutely agree!!  And I only want to hear the news...no political slant to the information.  And I don't want to hear anything clinical - from any politician or newscaster.  They are just restating what they 'heard', but with their politcal slant.  I want to hear it from the medical experts.