Esteemed Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

Has anyone mentioned the man in Colorado who died of alcohol poisoning and was counted as a COVID death?  Very much doubt COVID caused him to drink. That would be a stretch. 

Colorado has a problem with their numbers. 

You can can google it...alcohol poisoning COVID Colorado 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Was watching ABC News with David Muir this evening.  He talked about how my state had this huge one-day jump in cases.  But, what he didn't say was that number included test results from as far back as 6 weeks ago.  So, it's not like we actually had a huge one-day jump.  The local news did make a point of saying that this morning so at least some of us know the truth and aren't freaking out about it.

Also, one of our health experts they were interviewing yesterday confirmed that anybody who dies who has a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the primary reason for their death is counted as a Covid-19 death per CDC guidelines.  

@Icegoddess 

Samples to be tested for COVID19 must be sent to "sanctioned" labs.  These "sanctioned" labs currently take  4 - 6 WEEKS  to complete testing and return results. 

When do you think these results should be reported & added to 

your state numbers?

Nothing "left out" but here, seems it does not included details you would like.  Maybe you could notify the news channel.

No testing = No +positive results

More testing = More +positive results

@Drythe I have no problem with test results from tests taken 4 to 6 weeks ago being reported.  It's the way it's being reported without including that little tidbit so that it appears that these are all new cases from the newer faster tests which would make it seem that my state is not containing the cases when in actuality it is.  We get a local daily briefing which includes our hospital CEO who says we only have about 6 Covid 19 patients currently in the hospital and they are now encouraging anybody who has symptoms to please come to the ER which was not the case a few weeks ago.

@Icegoddess 

My point is that a National Newscaster is not likely to have 'tidbits" about every state to include.  Imagine how long that would take. Do you want to hear 'tidbits' about my state? The news would go on forever, which it seems to anyway.  

I really think it more appropriately shared in the state channels where it is of most interest.  I follow my state website which gives county by county details, and information about some causes.  If your state has a jump up at any time I am sorry.  None of us want it.

Just my thoughts.

@Drythe , ONLY my state was mentioned as if it was some sort of aberration or something.  If they're going to do that then they should say it includes tests from 6 weeks ago.  That doesn't take a lot of time.

@Icegoddess 

Oh,... Sorry.  You are not alone.  

My state has gone up a bit too.  

It's all just sad.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We got such a late start on this I am sure the accurate numbers are much higher.  

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm    Just another do as I say not as I do.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda 

Colorado isn't the only state which has a problem with its numbers.

One thing's for certain: this virus has a very low mortality rate, and the more people tested and found to have had it (and survived), the lower it goes.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

I think it is fair to count it as a covid 19 death even if the person has underlying conditions because a lot of conditions the elderly and others have are considered chronic and manageable  and people are not going to suddenly die from them.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

I think it is fair to count it as a covid 19 death even if the person has underlying conditions because a lot of conditions the elderly and others have are considered chronic and manageable  and people are not going to suddenly die from them.

@lovescats  They may be chronic and manageable, but not everyone manages them well. I can imagine someone having high blood pressure dying suddenly from a stroke.  Or someone with cardiovascular disease dying suddenly from a heart attack. Or someone with diabetes slipping into a diabetic coma and never coming out of it.   So yeah. People die suddenly from chronic and manageable conditions.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Is COVID-19 more deadly than the flu?

It’s a lot more deadly, concludes a new study by the University of Washington published May 7 in the journal Health Affairs. The study’s results also project a grim future if the U.S. doesn’t put up a strong fight against the spread of the virus.

The national rate of death among people infected with the novel coronavirus — SARS-CoV-2 — that causes COVID-19 and who show symptoms is 1.3%, the study found. The comparable rate of death for the seasonal flu is 0.1%.

“COVID-19 infection is deadlier than flu — we can put that debate to rest,” said study author Anirban Basu, professor of health economics and Stergachis Family Endowed Director of the CHOICE Institute at the UW School of Pharmacy.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

@lovescats  They may be chronic and manageable, but not everyone manages them well. I can imagine someone having high blood pressure dying suddenly from a stroke.  Or someone with cardiovascular disease dying suddenly from a heart attack. Or someone with diabetes slipping into a diabetic coma and never coming out of it.   So yeah. People die suddenly from chronic and manageable conditions.

and if they didn't have covid 19 when they died then it won't be listed as the cause of their death.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@lovescats 

I agree, people managing their health just fine, and suddenly COVID happens.

“Oh, well they were sick anyway.”

SMH

Just crude.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras