Honored Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

@on the bay wrote:

To me, whatever is reported, either those who are wondering if it is over reported or those who think it is undereported, I'll still see it as a dangerous highly contageous and potentially very deadly virus that we all need to protect ourselves from.

Meanwhile, no matter what is reported, it will not affect the virus at all as it continues to cause many deaths and continue to infect many.

So I'm not sure why it matters aside from political reasons to wonder so much about the statistics.

The reason it matters to me is that my state did not have a large one-day increase in cases as the news is implicating.  

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Icegoddess  I heard that a few months ago and I thought that it was not fair. Is it because they can´t pinpoint what did it or because it´s easier to say that?

The same with Aids. Oh the person had Aids but he/she died from Pneumonia.

@Sage04 I'm not sure the purpose. I understand that people who have Covid 19 might actually die from another cause that is actually due to or exacerbated by Covid 19, but the example given to the health expert was not this type of case.  See my response to Kachina624 above.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Was watching ABC News with David Muir this evening.  He talked about how my state had this huge one-day jump in cases.  But, what he didn't say was that number included test results from as far back as 6 weeks ago.  So, it's not like we actually had a huge one-day jump.  The local news did make a point of saying that this morning so at least some of us know the truth and aren't freaking out about it.

Also, one of our health experts they were interviewing yesterday confirmed that anybody who dies who has a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the primary reason for their death is counted as a Covid-19 death per CDC guidelines.  

@Icegoddess 

Samples to be tested for COVID19 must be sent to "sanctioned" labs.  These "sanctioned" labs currently take  4 - 6 WEEKS  to complete testing and return results. 

When do you think these results should be reported & added to 

your state numbers?

Nothing "left out" but here, seems it does not included details you would like.  Maybe you could notify the news channel.

No testing = No +positive results

More testing = More +positive results

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I am a NYC RN and I can tell you we lost an unprecedented number of people from covid.  Never in 35 years of nursing, did I see so much death. But, not every covid patient dies of pneumonia.  Covid can cause sudden blood clots and can cause a stroke or heart damage.  Sudden cardiac arrests have happened in some. And we are still learning about the different ways this virus attacks us. So unless a covid patient crosses the street and gets hit by a car, I wouldn't be quick to rule out covid as the cause of death.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

To me, whatever is reported, either those who are wondering if it is over reported or those who think it is undereported, I'll still see it as a dangerous highly contageous and potentially very deadly virus that we all need to protect ourselves from.

Meanwhile, no matter what is reported, it will not affect the virus at all as it continues to cause many deaths and continue to infect many.

So I'm not sure why it matters aside from political reasons to wonder so much about the statistics.

The reason it matters to me is that my state did not have a large one-day increase in cases as the news is implicating.  

Even 1 death is 1 too many. When did human beings become negligible and used for political capital? The fact that the death rate is going up at all shows the plan in place is failing and needs to be re evaluated

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

What ever happened to newscasters, newspapers and TV stations only reporting substantiated facts without promoting their own agendas?  Just want the facts and I'll make my own decisions. 

Honored Contributor

What frightens me is that this country has the highest amount of deaths in the world.  Each person who dies from this virus is a tragedy and loss, not a number or statistic.  Humans beings are dying from this horrible pandemic and it doesn't matter as to how many in each state or how few, each death counts.  These are victims, people from all  walks of lives and back rounds,  Each one meant something to someone.  Whether is is ten deaths or thousands, it is all a loss and as everyone goes about their business not following guidelines, who knows how many more people will die.  Maybe very few will die but even one death is too much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess -

I guess it might help to know the accuracy. I am slightly encouraged when I hear that more cases were reported because more were tested, not that there were actually more cases if you know what I mean.

Iguess, probably like me, many are hoping it is going down or not at least increasing drastically.

But I guess too, it probably won't be until several weeks that we see if the re-opening and how safe people are being, if it will increase the actual number.

eta-

though I agree that any deaths are tragic and disturbing no matter how many are reported. It's sad every day.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Icegoddess    The virus manifests itself in many different ways.  This Broadway actor who has been so ill with it had to have a leg amputated due to effects of the virus.  If someone dies of pneumonia acquired due to the virus, that should be counted as a virus death.  The fact is, they wouldn't have had these conditions if they didn't test positive for the virus and have the symptoms associated with it.

@Kachina624    I have seen some of the most ridiculous "cause of death" on death certificates of my relatives.....    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac wrote:

What ever happened to newscasters, newspapers and TV stations only reporting substantiated facts without promoting their own agendas?  Just want the facts and I'll make my own decisions. 

@mspatmac 

I am so tired of all these media people (I wont even call them journalist)....they just seem to be promoting their own "agendas"...... Like Sgt Friday used to say, "just the facts please....." Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”