Honored Contributor

Was watching ABC News with David Muir this evening.  He talked about how my state had this huge one-day jump in cases.  But, what he didn't say was that number included test results from as far back as 6 weeks ago.  So, it's not like we actually had a huge one-day jump.  The local news did make a point of saying that this morning so at least some of us know the truth and aren't freaking out about it.

Also, one of our health experts they were interviewing yesterday confirmed that anybody who dies who has a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the primary reason for their death is counted as a Covid-19 death per CDC guidelines.  

Regular Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

Its hard to know what to believe. One source says the count is undercounted and another will say it is overcounted.

Respected Contributor

I agree that it’s important to understand the statistics-there is a delay in reporting and cases will go up as testing increases. I’m afraid however that this is going to be used to cover up the fact that cases are bound to increase as people ignore the recommendations by medical professionals. I have a concern that some government officials are attempting to minimize the number of cases.

Honored Contributor

I am not the least bit surprised...most news agencies just like to stoke the fear.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess  I heard that a few months ago and I thought that it was not fair. Is it because they can´t pinpoint what did it or because it´s easier to say that?

The same with Aids. Oh the person had Aids but he/she died from Pneumonia.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess    The virus manifests itself in many different ways.  This Broadway actor who has been so ill with it had to have a leg amputated due to effects of the virus.  If someone dies of pneumonia acquired due to the virus, that should be counted as a virus death.  The fact is, they wouldn't have had these conditions if they didn't test positive for the virus and have the symptoms associated with it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Fear comes from everywhere not just the news!

Honored Contributor

To me, whatever is reported, either those who are wondering if it is over reported or those who think it is undereported, I'll still see it as a dangerous highly contageous and potentially very deadly virus that we all need to protect ourselves from.

Meanwhile, no matter what is reported, it will not affect the virus at all as it continues to cause many deaths and continue to infect many.

So I'm not sure why it matters aside from political reasons to wonder so much about the statistics.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

All I know is that at work we have 50% of our 36 bed MICU with COVID patients. Almost all on a vent. And this is down from a couple weeks ago. Another 50 or so patients on the floor. COVID patients die from renal failure, heart failure, heart attack, respiratory failure, stroke. Pick one. All complications from the virus. A patient might die from renal failure, but it was the virus that caused the kidneys to fail. Just because someone has a chronic condition, just mean that they were so sick they would have die yesterday if it weren’t from the damage done by the virus. I see too many people dismissing deaths without really understanding what is going on. I wish people had to spend one day as a nurse and see what we see. It’s not like the flu.

I just saw a comment on AIDS. One of the leading causes of death due to AIDS is pneumonia - often a rare fungal pneumonia. Why? Because AIDS destroys the immune system leading to what are called opportunistic infections. Yes, the person died of pneumonia, but it was due to the damage caused by HIV infection.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Icegoddess    The virus manifests itself in many different ways.  This Broadway actor who has been so ill with it had to have a leg amputated due to effects of the virus.  If someone dies of pneumonia acquired due to the virus, that should be counted as a virus death.  The fact is, they wouldn't have had these conditions if they didn't test positive for the virus and have the symptoms associated with it.

@Kachina624  @bikerbabe the example given to the health expert was if someone had a car crash and died from those injuries but had tested positive for Covid 19 would they be counted as a Covid19 death and the answer was yes.  In fact, there was a case in PA where the coroner confirmed that a man fell from a roof and cracked his head open, but because he had tested positive for Covid 19, he was labeled a Covid-19 death.  It was not a question about someone who had a full blown case of Covid-19 dying from complications associated with it which is what you are referring to.