Esteemed Contributor

Re: What the Heck is Pinterest?

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

it is NOT owned by google.

not sure what is going on with your settings or browser, but when i put a simple term like "dogs" or "recipes" into the google search bar, there are lots of sites that come up and pinterest is not the main one or even the most abundant one.

When I am searching for shoes (for instance) to price comparison, the vast majority of what comes back is a pinterest item (on Chrome).  This has nothing to do with my browser.  It has more to do with how I use Google @sunshine45.  That's my guess anyway.  It never fails.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

As an example I just did a google search for "Gucci handbags"

Here's what I got in the results:

Image result for Gucci handbags

25+ best ideas about Gucci purses on Pinterest | Cheap gucci bags ...
Pinterest600 × 600Search by image
Gucci Sylvie Leather Mini Bag (€1.685) ❤ liked on Polyvore featuring bags,
*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

not sure what is going on with your settings or browser, but when i put a simple term like "dogs" or "recipes" into the google search bar, there are lots of sites that come up and pinterest is not the main one or even the most abundant one.

When I am searching for shoes (for instance) to price comparison, the vast majority of what comes back is a pinterest item (on Chrome).  This has nothing to do with my browser.  It has more to do with how I use Google @sunshine45.  That's my guess anyway.  It never fails.

I've never seen Pinterest show up when using google shopping to check prices and store options. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I find it very useful!

I have the following categories:

Food and Recipes

Fitness and Health

Blank Canvas Ideas:for creating seasonal acrylic paintings

Beauty: products I like

Beach Decor

Wreaths

Various Craft projects

Household tips

Big Green Egg

Salt Block Cooking

Gardening

Home Decor

They send you emails with similar interests for you to browse.  I usually add one pin for every two emails sent by Pinterest. Sometimes it will have a YouTube video as a pin possibility.

The most helpful search I do is to check out various nail colors from Essie, OPI, Sally Hansen, etc.  It has saved me from buying a lame color or formula that would not work for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

I've never seen Pinterest show up when using google shopping to check prices and store options. 

@jaxs mom I'm not using Google Shopping (it doesn't return many google approved sites for purchases).  I'm simply using a Google search.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I find it very useful!

Food and Recipes

Fitness and Health

Beach Decor

Wreaths

Various Craft projects

Household tips

Big Green Egg

Salt Block Cooking

Gardening

Home Decor

They send you emails with similar interests for you to browse.  I usually add one pin for every two emails sent by Pinterest. Sometimes it will have a YouTube video as a pin possibility.

The most helpful search I do is to check out various nail colors from Essie, OPI, Sally Hansen, etc.  It has saved me from buying a lame color or formula that would not work for me.  

Sounds nice @jpie.  Lot's of stuff.  Of the boards you have, I likely would only do some stuff for the home.  I still like Houzz for that because it has a discussion forum as well.

Gardening

recipes

fitness and health

NOPE.  LOL.  

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@jpie wrote:

I find it very useful!

Food and Recipes

Fitness and Health

Beach Decor

Wreaths

Various Craft projects

Household tips

Big Green Egg

Salt Block Cooking

Gardening

Home Decor

Sounds nice @jpie.  Lot's of stuff.  Of the boards you have, I likely would only do some stuff for the home.  I still like Houzz for that because it has a discussion forum as well.

Gardening

recipes

fitness and health

NOPE.  LOL. 

________

So funny because I get the Houzz emails, but have never been on their discussion boards!  

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

@jaxs mom

i dont see a lot of pinterest posts either when i use google on firefox or edge or ie. maybe it has something to do with chrome? i dont have the experience that @itiswhatitis is having at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@itiswhatitis

@jaxs mom I'm not using Google Shopping (it doesn't return many google approved sites for purchases).  I'm simply using a Google search.

@itiswhatitis

when i put in gucci handbags, i get back sites like neiman marcus, therealreal, tradesy, nordstrom, the gucci site, saks, ebay, beg borrow steal, and more.....no links at all to pinterest on the first page or second page of search.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Quse wrote:

Pinterest is a giant rabbit hole that sucks you in with pretty pictures that you click and click...until you notice many minutes have zoomed by AND spoiler alert..when you try the recipe, it NEVER comes out like the picture on Pinterest...lol

Basically, it's another social media sharing app

It is very addicting. I was on Pinterest for several hours one day without realizing how much time had gone by. One search led to another and another and then makeup and hair videos and on and on.....Beware. Habit forming!!!