Honored Contributor

Re: What state has the best weather year around? Most consistant then.

On 2/18/2014 Shorty2U said:

If I had a choice I would live in California. I am in PA and loved the seasons until this year. Almost 70 inches of snow this winter is TOO MUCH! And its not over yet.

We are up to just about 100 inches of snow...and it's snowing right now, but I still love New York State.

We have 4 distinct seasons and plenty of things to do in all of them. We have the Great Lakes and wonderful ski resorts...the Adirondaks - fun in every season.

My favorite time of the year is early October. The days are about 70 and the nights are perfect for sleeping. The leaves are every shade of red and gold and the produce at the farmers markets have everything - even fall raspberries.

No earthquakes or hurricanes....seldom any tornadoes.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 MaggieToo said:

Arizona, of course.

Arizona is unbearably hot in the summer. I love the climate here in New Mexico better than any place I've ever lived. We definitely have four seasons but they're all mild. We're the same altitude as Denver so we don't get extremely hot. Days are warm and nights are cool. We usually get a little snow but it's gone quickly and doesn't inconvenience people. Never enough to shovel. We're high desert so it's dry and I never see pests like mosquitos, fleas or roaches. I sit out every summer evening pest-free and watch the sun set on the mountains. This is my little piece of heaven.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2014 RainCityGirl said:
On 2/18/2014 lenapecci said:

San Diego, CA. I have been there many times. I was just there in Jan. and it was 70 degrees.

Last August when I was there it was well over 100 in Vegas and it was 80 in San Diego.

I honestly wish I could afford to live there.

I second that. I visit there as often as i can. I am a lifelong resident of the state of Washington, but if I could afford it, I'd move to one of those little beach communities in the San Diego area. I spent 4 months in Hawaii, and I wouldn't really say that the climate there is all that great. The humidity is high, and during the rainy season, the torrential downpours are worse than anything I've ever seen in Seattle, believe it or not. They may not last over a period of time, but you don't want to be out walking in a rainstorm in Hawaii. You will be soaked.

I agree 100% with everything you said. I do want to add this one negative about living in CA and that is the fog. San Diego can have some really bad pea soupers and driving in it is really scary. We sometimes got caught in it at night and you have to use the freeway there, there's just no way around that in many cases.

Regarding the cost of living, I remember there were apartment buildings under rent control and they were nice and many with security systems where you had to hit a buzzer to be let in. Very reasonable to live in and not just for the over 50 age group.

Living at the beach is something I did in my 20's and rented an apt with a friend and then later a house.

Living inland can be very hot and not manageable without a/c.

Honored Contributor

I lived in northern CA for 17 years and southern CA for 25. I wouldn't go back.

Where I live there are no hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes. We do have flash floods in our rainy season, but they are gone as fast as they show up. We have a few flakes of show about every four or five years. The weather, IMO, is great.

It has been in the mid 80's all this past week and will get to about 83 today. What more could one ask for in the middle of winter.

It's the middle of summer that scares me. People say you can just stay inside with the a/c but who wants to do that?
Honored Contributor

I like the weather where we live right here in the Midwest. Not into the same temps year around. I like warm/hot and cool/cold. What kind of a hockey guy would I be if I didn't say I liked winter?

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 CouponQueen said:
On 2/18/2014 Pook said:

From talking to several people who have lived in Arizona I think that's got to be it. they said it's gets really hot at times but being it's a dry heat it's not the same as a humid heat. I know I would never choose Florida with all the storms and they still have a lot of fairly cold weather and the summers can be really unbearable unless you stay indoors with air conditioning.

I said that to somebody one time and they told me to go stick my head in the oven and come back and tell them if it was hot or not..dry heat may not have humidity but it is still hot they said...especially in AZ with the dry temps in the triple digits lol..

I spent some time in AZ as a kid, and during the summer, you don't want to be in the desert areas, as the heat is unbearable, even without the humidity. It was really nice in July in Flagstaff, though, and if I retired to AZ, I'd want to have two places. Summer in the Flagstaff area, and in the winter, more toward the Phoenix area.

Do those who live in AZ do that a lot? Live part of the year in one part of the state, and part of the year in another?

Respected Contributor

I think the best weather is anywhere on the West Coast.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

On 2/18/2014 mominohio said:
On 2/18/2014 CouponQueen said:
On 2/18/2014 Pook said:

From talking to several people who have lived in Arizona I think that's got to be it. they said it's gets really hot at times but being it's a dry heat it's not the same as a humid heat. I know I would never choose Florida with all the storms and they still have a lot of fairly cold weather and the summers can be really unbearable unless you stay indoors with air conditioning.

I said that to somebody one time and they told me to go stick my head in the oven and come back and tell them if it was hot or not..dry heat may not have humidity but it is still hot they said...especially in AZ with the dry temps in the triple digits lol..

I spent some time in AZ as a kid, and during the summer, you don't want to be in the desert areas, as the heat is unbearable, even without the humidity. It was really nice in July in Flagstaff, though, and if I retired to AZ, I'd want to have two places. Summer in the Flagstaff area, and in the winter, more toward the Phoenix area.

Do those who live in AZ do that a lot? Live part of the year in one part of the state, and part of the year in another?

Many do. I have friends that do this. Summers in the mountains and winters in the desert. (Although it is not a desert made up of sand), which is what I thought when I was transferred here LOL). Tucson is ringed by mountain ranges.

Regular Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Arizona, of course.

You must live in the desert portion of Az. I live in the mountains & we definitely have 4 seasons, lol.