Honored Contributor

Just wanted to share  with you this snippet I found in the Sunday Newspaper in the Ask Marilyn section in the parade magazine.  Thought it was good information🙂

What Should You Do When You're About to Be Rear ended In your Car?

Say you’re sitting at a red light. In your rearview mirror, you see the car behind you can’t stop in time. Knowing you’re going to be rear-ended, what should you do? Some people say you should brace yourself. Others say you should relax as much as possible. Which is better?

You should brace yourself, using your muscles to protect the vertebrae, disks and nerves in your spine and neck as much as you can. First, lean your head against the headrest and face directly forward. Then push your foot against the brake pedal and your back against the seat, if possible, and hold on to the steering wheel.

Honored Contributor

I would like to add.....

If wearing glasses, take them off.   The force of the air bag against your face while wearing glasses can cause serious eye and/or facial damage.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

If wearing glasses and you THINK ABOUT IT I would also take off your glasses so the air bag does not slam into you and they cut you....of course in most cases you would not think of that.....

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would like to add.....

If wearing glasses, take them off.   The force of the air bag against your face while wearing glasses can cause serious eye and/or facial damage.

@Mz iMac  We were thinking the same thing!❤️

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Just wanted to share  with you this snippet I found in the Sunday Newspaper in the Ask Marilyn section in the parade magazine.  Thought it was good information🙂

What Should You Do When You're About to Be Rear ended In your Car?

Say you’re sitting at a red light. In your rearview mirror, you see the car behind you can’t stop in time. Knowing you’re going to be rear-ended, what should you do? Some people say you should brace yourself. Others say you should relax as much as possible. Which is better?

You should brace yourself, using your muscles to protect the vertebrae, disks and nerves in your spine and neck as much as you can. First, lean your head against the headrest and face directly forward. Then push your foot against the brake pedal and your back against the seat, if possible, and hold on to the steering wheel.

I'm getting horrible visions of that right now. I would have thought tensing up like that would be worse. Whadda I know?!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What should you do?

[ Edited ]

I am a bit confused.  I thought air bags did not go off in rear end collisions.  I was rammed by a distracted driver in the back end of my car a couple years ago, and no air bags went off in my Subaru Forester.  It happened quickly with no warning, and I was very relaxed, returning from warm water pool therapy for my back.  Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Great minds think alike!

@PamfromCT  Maybe it depends on how hard the impact is?  Car manufacturer?

**mental note reminder**

Read my user manual re:  air bags

Honored Contributor

Checked my car manual (2017 Ford Fiesta Sedan).....

"The design of the front airbags is to deploy only in frontal and near-frontal crashes (not rollovers, side impacts or rear impacts) unless the crash causes sufficient longitudinal deceleration."

What I didn't know is my car is also equipped w/knee & side airbags for both driver & front passenger.  I never even heard of knee airbags.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT  We were rear ended on the freeway pretty hard. Knocked my sunglasses off. And our air bags didn’t go off. I think if you’re pushed in to something in front of you then they would.

Honored Contributor

A friend was in a wreck like that, she gripped the steering wheel with both hands to brace and it really messed up both her wrists, long term.    Might be good advice for a male driver, not so sure about a woman.