Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have always said  YES  and never YEAH or YEP.   YES is more proper....and easier to understand if on the phone etc.  

I think it is a form of sloppy English  to use slang words ...maybe caused by lack of  education  or  lower economic  upbringing. 

REALLY? Smiley Frustrated

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Maybe I am odd.  I speak formally but post informally.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have always said  YES  and never YEAH or YEP.   YES is more proper....and easier to understand if on the phone etc.  

I think it is a form of sloppy English  to use slang words ...maybe caused by lack of  education  or  lower economic  upbringing. 

Actually, YEP is considered an informal word and not slang. There is a difference.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Maybe I am odd.  I speak formally but post informally.

I kind of do the same.  I think the reason is because I don't want to sound unfriendly, and being very proper can sound a bit prissy.

Respected Contributor

memories can make you laugh

when growing up yup was said to indicate Yup, right up your yup.

that is why yeah and yep were polite.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but "yep" is common, and people from all socioeconomic levels, and education levels, use the word.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I guess this board is riddled with uneducated, lower income people. Who knew? What an inane comment. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

guilty as charged......i have been known to say "yep," "yeah,"  "mmm hmm," and "you bet" on occasion. is it offensive?

You betcha.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

REALLY? Smiley Frustrated

@sunshine45, Yep. She's serious.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Thanks. Having a not so good day today and needed a laugh! Tell me you are not serious.