Trusted Contributor

Re: What’s up with Bounty?

I’ve always used Viva Select a Size. I found Bounty not as absorbent. Viva feels more like cloth to me. I wouldn’t notice any change in Bounty because I don’t buy it. But I can recommend Viva to anyone ready to switch. 

Honored Contributor

We switched to Brawny some time ago. They are excellent and slightly better priced.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I'm hopelessly tied to Bounty.  I want to change the brand, but my husband won't let me.  They've changed so much.  First with the select a size.  My husband hates it.  I'm not a fan either.  It began to be harder and harder to find full sheets.  Also the quality of the sheets changed.  It began to tear easily and rough feeling.  Also Bounty began to offer bare to bones paper towels (I'm talking about Bounty Essentials)  Yuk!  Very cheap quality towels. I have so much trouble finding full sheet, good quality bounty, I've had to drive extra miles to find them.  Amazon is no help.  They too also offer the select a size.  As soon as I saw the top thread, I just knew.  

Respected Contributor

I'm blown away. I'm glad I'm not married. I'm sure there are lots of benefits to it ... love bla, blah, blah and all that LOL. But to feel tied To having to buy a certain brand of paper towel is a feeling I'd rather not have.  Be a rebel and buy the papertowel you want for a change. #Freedom

Respected Contributor

Something is definitely up with Bounty.  I have noticed over the past year they have changed something.  I have a standing paper towel holder with activated spring arm attachment.  The select-a-size Bounty keeps getting tangled and won't release properly.  Other brands work fine.  Also, they are scratchy and not nearly as absorbent. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I'm blown away. I'm glad I'm not married. I'm sure there are lots of benefits to it ... love bla, blah, blah and all that LOL. But to feel tied To having to buy a certain brand of paper towel is a feeling I'd rather not have.  Be a rebel and buy the papertowel you want for a change. #Freedom

@LizzieInSRQ I feel exactly as you do!  Having been married to an "opinionated" (I'm being nice here) person, I learned to pick my battles so to speak, on minor things, it just worked better than the bickering that ensued when I would get home.  Wasn't worth it in the long run.  He wasn't going to change.

Was married for 28 yrs and I have been happily divorced for almost 24 years.  Yes, there are advantages to being married, I sometimes wouldn't mind a part time husband that was gone most of the time, but the freedoms I have now is incomparable to what I endured being married.  I don't want to give it up!  Cat Very Happy

eta - I noticed Bounty has changed with my last purchase also.  It even feels cheaper.  I will look for another brand next time.

eta - @songbird _ I am not saying your husband is like mine was, not at all, I don't know him and all marriages have these little qwirks, mine had them daily, in abundance.  Just didn't want you to think we were picking on your hubby!!

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

To me, the Bounty feels so rough. That was the only paper towel we bought. I switch to Viva select a size and it is a lot softer and works a lot better.

My experience as well. I bought both brands depending on which was on sale. The Bounty is a rougher texture for sure and I now prefer Viva. This and toilet paper and tissues are instances when I won’t waste my money on the cheap brands. 

Valued Contributor

I noticed the width of the select a size Bountys is wider than it used to be in the most recent multipack we purchased.  I meant to go compare to an older roll to see if there were fewer sheets per roll or something but forgot.  And for quite some time they have been hard to tear off and not leave part of the towel at the bottom still attached (we have a stand up holder).  Maybe I will check out Brawny - the Vivas feel too weird to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Tons of glue on the edge also. Wastes like 5 pieces! 

Respected Contributor

I usually buy Viva but changed to Bounty in the last year. I buy Bounty in bulk from Sam's and noticed that this batch was not as soft as past purchases but the absorbency level was still the same.

I also purchase the sheets that can be split but find that the rolls don't last as long. I am thinking about picking up a roll at the supermarket to see if there is a difference in the softness. When I do I will update my post to reflect my observations.