Respected Contributor

Re: What’s the most you would pair for a pair of underwear?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

I’m surprised so many posters use panty liners. I was so glad to stop using feminine hygiene pads after menopause that I’ve never thought of using liners now. 

@Mindy D 

I don't leak either and find no reason to need panty liners.  What could possibly be happening to anyone's undies that they need bleach and liners?   Maybe I'm missing something here?

@Tinkrbl44 @Mindy D  I have always worn pantiliners. Now that I'm older, and occasionally pee a little when I cough or sneeze, I use Poise light bladder leakage protection liners. They are very thin and comfortable, and help contain moisture and odors. A lot of women have this problem, especially as they get older, so consider yourselves lucky if you don't! Woman Happy

I buy Fruit of the Loom cotton undies, whatever colors are in the multipacks. Can't remember the exact price, but very inexpensive. I would never bleach them, it weakens the fibers. I do wash in warm water, and dry on low heat. They last forever!

Respected Contributor

@buffy41757

@buffy41757 wrote:

I dont get it either  Tinkrlb44

After menopause happend you will not catch me dead or alive wear and sanitary products.

Liners are very thin...I don't even know I'm wearing them. See my post above, and consider yourself lucky if you don't need them. I feel fresher, and it's much easier to change a liner if necessary than it is to change panties.

Honored Contributor

Vanity fair, jockey cotton, jcp usually has sales.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

My favorite undies are Victoria Secret's hi cut briefs, and I usually wait for a sale where I can get 6 for under 40.00. I do want to try Soma Vanishing Briefs as well.....Heard really good things about them.

Regular Contributor

As to the subject of leakage, as a woman ages and the muscles become stretched and do not retract like they used to, vaginal discharge and urine leakage become a common problem.  If you are past menopause and have not yet developed this problem, God Bless You. But if you are like the rest of us, a pantyliner is the non medicine way to keep that area clean and dry.

Honored Contributor

I buy all cotton in beige/French cut from Lane Bryant. Though they are a plus size store, they carry underwear from size M up to 4X. Often it's 3 pairs for $12 or buy 2 get one free. They wear like iron. So I suppose $4 to $6 a pair? I'm pretty cheap when it comes to cotton panties.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

I’m surprised so many posters use panty liners. I was so glad to stop using feminine hygiene pads after menopause that I’ve never thought of using liners now. 

@Mindy D 

I don't leak either and find no reason to need panty liners.  What could possibly be happening to anyone's undies that they need bleach and liners?   Maybe I'm missing something here?

Hello Tinkrbl44. I have no intention of wear pads now either. I say, good riddance to them.

However, the bacteria count from fecal matter on underwear is off the charts. There are viruses and fungi present as well. Even with good hygiene counts can be high. There’s also going to be other biological materials you might not see but are usually found on underwear such as urine, sweat and vaginal discharge and ******. The heat of the dryer, on high, for about a half hour kills most microbes, but if you hang your undies to dry, considerable microbes remain. There are numerous studies of this. It’s usually not harmful to people to have these microbes on the underwear so it’s a matter of choice in how a person wants to handle this. Liners might prevent staining from vaginal discharge. Chlorine bleach such as Chlorox and other laundry products such as Oxiclean and other hydrogen peroxide products and laundry sanitizers help control microbes. Rewashing multiple times can also lower counts. It’s not just underwear that’s full of germs. Hand washing garments in which great deal of water from the faucet is flushed through the garment to rinse after washing can reduce counts too. Here’s just one study.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4672060/

from “Dirty Laundry. How Nasty Germs Survive in Your Washer by Kim Carollo from ABC, May 27, 20

“Charles Gerba, a professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona, has done extensive research on the germs that fester in our washing machines.

"If you wash a load of just underwear, there will be about 100 million E. coli in the wash water, and they can be transmitted to the next load of laundry," Gerba said.

"There's about a tenth of a gram of poop in the average pair of underwear," he added.

Fecal matter can carry a number of different germs, including the hepatitis A virus, norovirus, rotavirus, salmonella and E. coli.

Philip Tierno, a professor of microbiology and pathology at the New York University School of Medicine and author of the book, "The Secret Life of Germs," said bacteria from the skin, such as staphylococcus, can be found on clothing and towels.”