Honored Contributor

What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yourself" falls

Whether it's diet, exercise, whatever it might be. Mine is weight. A good 20 sounds easier than you think. Being in this bod now, at this age, it is a challange.

What's yours?

Respected Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

Diet, diet, diet, and then there's diet.

I've posted here before about my inability to lose weight.  It's all in my head, but I can't fix my head, apparently.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

Not FALLING and injuring my hips or back.

Woman Sad

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

You MAY be underestimating yourself @Peaches McPhee. I told myself for 40 years that I couldn't "fix my head".

Then I stopped telling myself I "couldn't" started telling myself I COULD and WOULD and HAD TO, and DID.

The trick for me was to identify reasons to lose weight that were undeniable and totally personal. And that was that.

Honored Contributor

Maintaining weight is there, but I'll go with nails.  I baby my nails and they look nice.  Then I do something where I should have worn gloves and didn't.  The nails suffer and I have to start the process over.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • I would have to say it's the daily skincare maintenance.  I guess I'm vain in that respect. Trying like heck to preserve my years is like work.
Respected Contributor

Mental stuff. Controlling obessive thoughts, be it food, shopping, going over a past conversation where I should of said this, or why did I say that, self dis-like thoughts/putting myself down, etc., etc., etc. Over the years I am much improved, but I think it's my nature, whatever that means, so its a lifelong thing.
Honored Contributor

My hardest job was 4 years ago when my husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer.  Yes, I said 4 - FOUR YEARS ago. 

I never in a million years ever imagined I'd be someone's caregiver but I was 'chosen' to become his and while it was 22 months long (really and still counting although he is cured) I did it.  We did it. 

Yes we still do testing, still on the 6 month plan which is fine with us, ALL of his results are excellently perfect.  And yeah, it will be 4 years this July 1 when he had his surgery to remove ALL of the rectal cancer. 

I will always be his caregiver and that's fine with me.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD- wishing I could give you and DH TEN HEARTS.

Respected Contributor

Other than diet since it seems whatever you eat after say about 45 stays with you, not unless you are a exercise fanatic or eat like a bird. For me, it would be standing and bending over in the shower stall to shave my legs. Not good on my back at all. Now, I have to sit on the edge of the bathtub to accomplish this. Also - painting my toenails - have to do this while sitting on stairs - less bending involved. Just little things, I know...

-Texas Hill Country-