Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

Just to get off the couch and move--take a walk or put things away. I am now by myself and I sometimes say what the H.  I got up for sometimes it is hard to sleep. I know I should of left that snowball alone that I found but I couldn't resist. Also I know I won't be 100 pounds again like I was unless I got real sick so 20 lbs added isn't too bad I say to myself.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

[ Edited ]

I recently joined the fitness center associated with the hospital my doctors are associated with.  I have arthritis in my knees and feet.  I didn't realize it til now but it's basically all over my body and  floor exercises had been avoided for years.  Big mistake. 

I got their medical type membership which means that it's targeted for specific medical issues.  Was I shocked to find out how limited I was in range of motion and flexibility.  Turning from my back to my stomach is torturous.

Because of this program, I do yoga, flexibility classes, senior boot camp, Zumba, etc.  This morning I'm going to do Tai Chi.

Unfortunately, the water aerobics was a bad experience since I got motion sick...didn't take a whole dose of Dramamine beforehand.

Word to the wise, get into an exercise program, especially if you are a senior.  The little stuff you do at home is not enough.  The whole body needs work.  I kept saying that I felt like I was turning into a block of cement and, in a way, I was.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

The hardest thing for me is making myself a priority. I have a husband with serious health issues and a son with mental illness - on top of that I was the caretaker for my elderly mom and dad.  I often feel like a sponge, absorbing everyone else's pain and suffering, as if that helps them at all. I know it doesn't, but that's my nature and I have to remind myself constantly to step away from it.  The best way I can help them is keep myself happy and healthy, but it's very hard.  

My prayers go out to the others on this thread who face similar challenges.

Thanks, OP, for bringing it up.  I rarely talk about any of this to my "real-life" friends, who all have their own "stuff" to deal with.  

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

My hardest job was 4 years ago when my husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer.  Yes, I said 4 - FOUR YEARS ago. 

I never in a million years ever imagined I'd be someone's caregiver but I was 'chosen' to become his and while it was 22 months long (really and still counting although he is cured) I did it.  We did it. 

Yes we still do testing, still on the 6 month plan which is fine with us, ALL of his results are excellently perfect.  And yeah, it will be 4 years this July 1 when he had his surgery to remove ALL of the rectal cancer. 

I will always be his caregiver and that's fine with me.

❤️ @PINKdogWOOD