Honored Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

@hckynut - Go get 'em John, we know of what you speak.  You and your wife have each come such a long way to keep each other safe and healthy.  I for one here truly admire you for that.

Keep up all the good work you do for yourself and your wife.

Respected Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

@violann, thank you for the pep talk, and common sense.  I will think of you when next confronted with a donut or bag of chips.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

For me I don't take good care of my health.I eat healthy.exercise,take vitamins and don't use chemicals in my home.I just don't go to the doctor and I know I should but I don't even have a doctor.I have been once to a urgent care center for a case of shingles and that is it for the past sixteen years.

Respected Contributor

Working too much...I am a week away from turning 58, still working 6 days a week...usually 60 hours or more per...

There is always a reason that I can't lighten up....

Honored Contributor

Giving up my one sweet a day.  I can't do it! 

I've done it, but then I go back.  And once I'm back, I'm back....

I'm not overweight, but I know that sugar isn't good for you.  Just not good.

I eat a cupcake a day, which I cut in half and enjoy it like that-- hours apart.  Too sweet to eat all at once.

I guess I could try just eating a half a cupcake a day.

I even bought chronium to take because I read it cuts your desire for sweets.  Don't want to take it! 

If only I could give that up.

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Would have said weight-30 lbs, even 20, a few years ago. Now it is managing pain from neuropathy and arthritis all over my body.

Have had to give up walking miles daily, can hardly walk at all now, a few blocks on a good day. I did Pilates daily for over 9 years and lifted light weights- all no more.

Just as difficult as managing pain is managing  limitations.

I persevere and am told I have a great attitude.

Do you have access to a pool?  You can still do your exercises and not be in too much pain!

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

My hardest job was 4 years ago when my husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer.  Yes, I said 4 - FOUR YEARS ago. 

I never in a million years ever imagined I'd be someone's caregiver but I was 'chosen' to become his and while it was 22 months long (really and still counting although he is cured) I did it.  We did it. 

Yes we still do testing, still on the 6 month plan which is fine with us, ALL of his results are excellently perfect.  And yeah, it will be 4 years this July 1 when he had his surgery to remove ALL of the rectal cancer. 

I will always be his caregiver and that's fine with me.

So sorry you had to go through this as I'm sure it was very trying for the both of you a times.

But you made it to the other side and I'm so glad it's in the past.

I know I was serious when I said 'In sickness and in health'.  It's amazing what we can do when we need to.

Respected Contributor

No pool easily assessable. Thanks for suggestion.

Trusted Contributor

Trying to keep finding reasons to go on each day, I know that sounds bad but is the truth. Have been disabled for 15 years, survived hospice but am in terrible pain each day. I live with a spinal morphine pump and cant walk now so is hard to keep positive. My only wish now is to live my reaminaing time with some quality............no more is it about quantity of time. Is just me and DH now and some of the possibilities are scaring me. Is amazing how simple life becomes when one is very ill. For me I have less expectations and is more about quality time left.

Esteemed Contributor

The hardest job is believing that it will all pay off right up to the end. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust