Honored Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

Preparation for a colonoscopy every three years. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What's the hardest job you have in taking care of yourself, no matter what "care of yoursel

I think losing this 15-20 pounds I seem to have put on my middle over the last 9 months after my last hip surgery.Smiley Sad It is so depressing as I was at my thinest weight  ever after my surgery last july.... and even though I ate healthy after surgery,,, I guess I was eating more calories than I needed and I was less active and the weight came back on.

So I am now on a exercise walking program and watching my food intake. Been on it  for a week now and can see the difference already in my waist.  I hope in two months to at least lose 10 pounds. I do not want to get as thin as I was after surgery as it was really too thin for my frame. But just want to feel comfortable again. Everyone has that weight that is comfortable.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deepwaterdotter   I TOTALLY get you... it is awful!

Respected Contributor

Would have said weight-30 lbs, even 20, a few years ago. Now it is managing pain from neuropathy and arthritis all over my body.

Have had to give up walking miles daily, can hardly walk at all now, a few blocks on a good day. I did Pilates daily for over 9 years and lifted light weights- all no more.

Just as difficult as managing pain is managing  limitations.

I persevere and am told I have a great attitude.

Honored Contributor

Right at the present that would be a doctor(s) or someone in the medical field finding the source of my problems. 

Generally speaking the hardest for any athlete is to have a long term injury. I am talking 6 months to well over a year. It isn't the physical discomfort, it is coming to terms with the mental aspects of a very, very slow and necessary recovery.

I have been the losing weight reduction route/quitting smoking/quiting drinking alcohol/quitting eating meat/fish and fowl/excessive gambling on football.

Exercising has for decades a great part of who I am. Take that away for whatever the reason, and that is probably close to the top.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Standing up for myself especially with my family who seems to be under the very wrong impression that just because I am single means I am at their disposable and can be inconvenienced for their needs at any time.  Kind of done with that after four decades.  It's my turn now.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14, good for you! It seems that you have found your voice, and you are not afraid to shout. Enjoy your newfound freedom!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I can relate. Had #15 a couple weeks ago. If my colon starts bleeding again, back for another one. For me it is all optimism and reality.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Ms Violann  - Well aren't you the sweetest person!!!!  THANK YOU very much for your 10 hearts (wink wink). 

I/we have not raised (two-legged) children but I think I could equate being someone's 24/7 caregiver to raising children or close to it.  Obviously children take at least 18 years whereby I had almost 2 years.  But I truly now understand the concept.  None of it is about you, it's all about the other person or persons, big or small. 

I get this now.

Never in a million years did I ever think I could do such a thing but I did.  When my parents were both ill and needed care, my Sister (bless her kind heart too) was there for both of them.  She lived closer to them and was only about 40 minutes away if needed in a hurry.  She also had some help from the next door neighbor.  I thought every day to me, I had NO idea  how she did everything she did for them.  I had no idea where to even begin.  She knew exactly what to do, questions to ask, how to help them.  I told her often how totally grateful I was for her being there every day for them.

Then out of the clear blue, there I was one minute breezing through life with my DH, then next minute our world turned upside down.  With the help of our unbelieveable team of Drs & Nurses, we all made it through.  Ups & downs yes, but we can all say our's turned into another success story - and actually two successes because 8 months after his first surgery, he another (liver) cancer 'flareup'.  That too was nipped in the bud, another grand success.  So God bless our ultimate caregivers - I would  not have made it without them!

Thank you again for your 10 much welcomed HEARTS!

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   GOOD for you for giving yourself one of the BEST gifts you can.  To do this test every 3 years I understand is a nuisance but SUCH a needed one.

I know the alternative if you did not do this.  This test is nothing more than a 1/2 day's worth of good book reading in the bathroom.  And please KNOW I'm not at all making light of this.  I truly know you are doing the very BEST for yourself!