Honored Contributor

Re: What's something you refuse to spend money on?

I refuse to spend money anywhere that spreads or tolerates misinformation and/or lies. Or for any people that do. Ditto for bigotry and hatred.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Home warranty policies, they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

High priced polyester clothing by so called designers here at the Q.

Kindles or other digital readers.  Nothing beats a real book. The smell, the tactile nature of a book, the coziness of it. You Don't get that from a machine.

Any company or business that promotes hate or bigotry within their corporate policies.  You are so right @Greeneyedlady21 ,

Respected Contributor

MLM's. They are predatory and the products are way overpriced. You can find comparable items many other places for cheaper. I was at a craft show Saturday and avoided the MLM booths that were there. I don't think MLM's should be allowed at craft fairs, but that's another topic!

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon. I won't shop there and definitely won't buy there. It's too big and running smaller retailers out of business.

Agree with several of you by not spending my money on "designer" bags or shoes, etc, that cost waay more than they're worth.

Same goes for ridiculously expensive skin care lines. But I do get a kick out of reading Q's beauty forum to get a few chuckles.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Not going to pay $75 for two cheeseburgers/fries and a ravioli appetizer from my local delivery company..........it happened last night, and I cancelled.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

MLM's. They are predatory and the products are way overpriced. You can find comparable items many other places for cheaper. I was at a craft show Saturday and avoided the MLM booths that were there. I don't think MLM's should be allowed at craft fairs, but that's another topic!

@Cumbercookie13 

What are MLMs?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

Hear hear!

They're pyramid schemes with interchangeable products. They only sell a product because that's what they have to do to remain legal.

In an MLM you can only make serious money if you are one of the very first founding recruiters (And unless you are already high up in another MLM, you won't know about the upcoming MLM. They all know each other and set up the pyramid structure privately for each other before announcing the MLM to the public.)

And even then you have to bring in hundreds to thousands of suckers who also manage to bring in other suckers, times infinity--none of whom have much of a hope of breaking even, let alone attaining the lifestyle and riches that were promised.

MLM: A pyramid scheme that incidentally sells overpriced shampoo or weight loss powder, in order to stay a step ahead of the FTC.

Edited to add: To answer the question above, MLM stands for Multi Level Marketing. Amway, Herbalife, Monat, Beachbody are all MLMs.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags  I've heard them referred to as "pyramid schemes".

Honored Contributor

Crypto. Now that's a straight up Ponzi scheme.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Occasional Contributor

@Indra wrote:

Any products sold by a vendor that espouses disdain or hatred of others.

Agree. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Penzeys Spices for that reason. The hate in his emails was not tolerable for me.