Trusted Contributor

Re: What's something you refuse to spend money on?

Plastic purses

Super Contributor

Any products sold by a vendor that espouses disdain or hatred of others.

Respected Contributor

Sadly enough, there is virtually nothing I won't spend money on if I happen to be in the mood.

Thank goodness that mood doesn;t descend too often.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read through all the replies.  Don't know if this one has been mentioned.  

I will not pay for bubble wrap or any stuffing to mail a package.  I have saved a lot of bubble wrap from packages received and it's a great product to use over and over.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Monthly bank fees for a checking account.  Better be free or I'm gone!

Same here.  I refuse to pay a bank to let me put my money there.  

Honored Contributor

I will not pay money at check-out for bags to put the groceries in.  If I've forgotten to take my reusable bags into the store, I'll leave the cart in the store, loaded with groceries, and walk out to the car to get the bags.

Respected Contributor

dating sites,no way!

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I save some of the MILES of clean brown paper that Amazon pulls off thier overhead rolls to pack stuff in, when you get an order in a huge box.

I flatten out the wrinkles, fold it, and save it for use when I sometimes have a plumber or delivery people from Lowes or any household help come in and they have to walk from the garage thru the house to the basement door ( had a water heater and a washer delivered this year, and the olds ones removed)...Lay it down for them to walk on then throw it out if soiled, if not, sweep it off on the drvieway and save for next time...

Bubble wrap and all kinds of sheet wrapping made of plastic-like material...I use to stuff the cracks around my older unused second garage door in the winter, since it never goes up. You'd be surprised how much cold air seeps in around those doors. I toss it in spring.

I try to use "something I already have" before I buy new anything.

SO much waste today.

Before I buy, I look in house, garage, shed. If there's something that I can use or reuse or repurpose, I do it.

Keeps ones mind sharp too!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sandy53 : Including those called vegan leather and/or faux leather. Those are just fancy names for plastic. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I refuse to pay for anything I think appears ostentatious. I find "conspicuous consumption" to be tacky and classless. This includes expensive, flashy cars, and clothes, handbags, and shoes with logos all over them. People who buy those things seem insecure and needy to me.

@Trailrun23  - I've been using Dooney bags for years (with the logo) because they are quality bags that last.  I find that I don't have to continually change out purses because they're so durable.  That being said, I am definitely not insecure, needy, or classless.