Respected Contributor

Re: What's an area in history, you find interesting?

@Oznell  My paternal GG grandfather and family also came from A.L. but later in the early-mid 1800s.  They were of German extraction and left probably for better opportunities, settling in northern Illinois.  

It is an interesting area of mixed peoples and beliefs and terrorizing of the population.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

To me it is an era, rather than a certain area. That would be from my birth in 1939 to the present. America History I did not learn in high school. I dropped out twice, so never completed a semester where that history was taught. 

In the last 20 years or so I read on my own a lot of that history back to the American Revolution and the Civil War. My primary interest has always been the era when I was young and saw news reels of World War II.

Grew up loving the AVG and all planes, bombers and fighters used in the then Army Air Corp. If there is actual video from WWII, I probably own it.

Might have been part of the reason I decided to join the United States Army, and not wait to get drafted. Came to find out during the US Army Physical, which I did not  pass, I was considered 4F. That meant I could not be drafted, but I could voluntarily join, which is what I did.

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach   Thank you. I didn't keep a journal, but I have a very good memory and many, many pictures.  I should have.  I just didn't think about it at the time.

We were in China during the  Sept 11 attacks. It was evening there and we just got into the room for the night and turned on TV  ( CNN) just in time to see the second tower hit by a plane live.  It was quite an experience.  One I hope is never repeated.

I have had some wonderful experiences too and have been blessed to meet wonderful people.  

Honored Contributor

I really got turned-on to History in junior year of high school -1958 - a class called World History.   It continued through senior year - fantastic teacher.

Basically - it's the history of Western Civilization ....  through art, archtecture, music, philosophy, wars, etc.

I guess you could say my area of interest is from pre-recorded history to the founding of the New World.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@GingerPeach   Thank you. I didn't keep a journal, but I have a very good memory and many, many pictures.  I should have.  I just didn't think about it at the time.

We were in China during the  Sept 11 attacks. It was evening there and we just got into the room for the night and turned on TV  ( CNN) just in time to see the second tower hit by a plane live.  It was quite an experience.  One I hope is never repeated.

I have had some wonderful experiences too and have been blessed to meet wonderful people.  

Oh darn, @Carmie 

I was hoping your book was ready to be published. 

(That's partly a joke and partly serious.)

The serious part is that I think your soul-touching experiences would resonate with many since you describe them so well.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I really got turned-on to History in junior year of high school -1958 - a class called World History.   It continued through senior year - fantastic teacher.

Basically - it's the history of Western Civilization ....  through art, archtecture, music, philosophy, wars, etc.

I guess you could say my area of interest is from pre-recorded history to the founding of the New World.  

@ALRATIBA 

World History? I had that class as a Sophomore. First semester WH I, second semester WH II. I had zero interest in that history and I flunked it 3 times. I could not get to WH II. Went to Summer School to pass WH I, on my 4th try.

Got to American History in my Junior year, went 1 month and quit high school. Decided I preferred working full time, money and living in the real world, over formal school education. 

My other post is about my interest in American History. Had my high school lined up American History in my Sophomore year? Would have passed it with a "1 or A+", because to me it was relevant in my life. World History? Nothing to do with my present or future life, thus my failing it multiple times.

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

That's funny the different years for World History. Mine was Freshman year.

Honored Contributor

If I had to take the current events quizes we had in high school, I would ace them now days.  Total news junkie.

Honored Contributor

I thought John F. Kennedy, President, of the U.S.A. was gunned down and wonder why and who was behind it.  President Kennedy was for all people and it seems that it was not acceptable at that time in history.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Roman Empire.

In my mind, lots of similarities.

Roman baths (spas), abundance of consumption of food (and maybe even wine), gatherings of people viewing sports and other various events, etc., etc. 

Oh, and they probably enjoyed various plays and music 'concerts' at those gatherings.  Same as many of us do today. 

Entertainment.

Oh, wait (again).  Could be that they enjoyed wearing eye 'makeup', too.  Various pigments of color, etc.  Or have I watched a movie or two of Roman times with actresses wearing heavy makeup?

Just thought of something else that could be similar to today's life......... 

Maybe they wore various fragrances made from flowers.  ?   Just a thought.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).