Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's an area in history, you find interesting?

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I'm not an expert, but I am drawn to The Holocaust.  I've read some, watched some documentaries and featured films, and toured the Dachau concentration camp, but one of the highlights of my life was being able to speak directly to someone who was a real life rescuer and protector of his friend's children during this time.  It was in Poland, He, his wife, and children were Polish Gentiles and the friend was a Jew who needed his help. Even though it put his family at great risk, he agreed.  His name was Alex Roslan.  He and his wife, Mela, were eventually declared as Righteous Among The Nations. Heart

@JeanLouiseFinch  I'll never forget the account from my piano teacher, who was Jewish-Polish, about his harrowing escape....where he had to hide in a closet and did manage to avoid detection.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

The Civil War and politics 1900-present. Will people ever learn from history?

@CalminHeart 

What we forget we are doomed to repeat.  We need to keep the details of history alive in the schools.

Yes, anyone "can look it up", but the spark of interest has to happen first.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

The Kennedys and Camelot, of course.

I'm also drawn to unsolved crimes- D.B. Cooper et al.

Honored Contributor

Chicago commercial architecture.

Esteemed Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

The Holocaust because it's my family history and it truly is difficult to fathom the evil that occurred. 

Armenian Holocaust.....because it's my family history...had an uncle who was orphaned...

Trusted Contributor

The World War ll era, both in America and Europe, but especially in Britain.

I seem to never tire of stories, and movies set in that time period.

Honored Contributor

I would find it impossible to find an era I'm not interested in.  It was my minor in college.  

History is history.  It shows us what happened in the world in the past.  It also shows if you try to judge any culture today you can find something similar in the past.  It says we are people of our times and what we are and how we think reflects and changes that.

Good, bad and unspeakable happen through out history and throughout groups of people.  History shows us how simply human we are.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Am a lover of  all History .Have been since I was a young teenager . So much to learn as History  unfortunately does repeat itself .  I often read  abt other countries history  which always imparts  valuable knowledge . I love historic biographies . I really enjoy  books abt the lives of others who lived during difficult times through the ages . Many of their challenges really diminish any  difficulties that I have encountered and some are universal such as deaths in the family . It's difficult to pinpoint my favorite geographic area or time frame . Lately, have concentrated on American colonial history not only of the  very early British settlements  to the founding of Nieuw Amsterdam by the Dutch in 1624 . Agree that eras from French & Indian War to the American Revolution  up to WWII are fascinating. The founding of Canada by the French is also a interesting read. I was always asking my Grandparents abt their experiences as they lived through very tough economic times, 2 world wars and saw technology take off like a rocket. Even experiencing our Space  exploration advancement .

Esteemed Contributor

I like history in general.  If I had to pick one area of interest it would be the Battle of Culloden in Scotland.   I am drawn to Scottish history as I have roots there.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I too am drawn to the Holocaust like you.

I am presently reading a book called Survivors Club by written by Michael Bornstein,  a prisoner of Auschwitz  as a little boy of 4 years old.  It is actually very hard to read what he  and his family experienced... I have to put it down at times and walk away because of the horrors he writes about when his Polish villiage was invaded by the Nazis. 

I recommend this book to get a moving account of the survival of the human spirit in the face of fascism and genocide.