Respected Contributor

For me it’s Bats. One flew in the bedroom while I was cleaning. Left window open to shake things out. Called my husband and he tried to get it to fly back out the window. I was in tears and no help. DH used my clothes basket to catch him against the wall and   we used cardboard to cover the basket and out he went. Never left window open without screen again.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always had problems with large knives - or anything sharp. I got much worse - after watching all those cooking shows where they're constantly chopping/dicing. The producers must think that people love watching that performance. Creeps me out.

I used to love driving or being a passenger. In 1995 I started to get panicky driving - or when I was a passenger. It got worse and worse thru the years. I'm now 78 yrs young and I ldrive a little slower - and hate driving on the freeway. Fortunately I don't have to anymore. There are a few streets near my house that have 4 or 5 lanes - and u could hear cars whizz by. Years ago, the lanes on the streets and freeway were WIDE and there were fewer lanes. 

I liked when u could drive 55 mph on the freeway -- now it's 65 mph and people drive even faster.

I can't even watch the news where cops are chasing a suspect on the street or freeway.

I read an article that said this driving problem happens mostly to women and starts during menopause - that's exactly what happened to me. It all makes sense. I'm retired and home most of the time and I feel safe.

Respected Contributor

Fires, I am very scared of them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Escallators.  Good thing our town only has one. When I travel I have to hand hubby everything I carry and then hold on for dear life.  Mostly I am afraid to go DOWN  I can tolerate going UP I think it is mostly getting on and off. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't like driving on highways, in heavy traffic, or in areas that are unfamiliar to me, but I don't avoid them, so Idk if they would be considered phobias!  

Valued Contributor

I have a few phobias being hate mice, roller coasters but my absolute worst is

riding in a car with other drivers and especially the highway. I have stayed home for so many years because of the highway driving. I don't know what caused this fear either or the fear of riding with others. I hate it because it stops me from going to so many places.

Beckyblu

Trusted Contributor

Don’t know why but I have this weird, irrational aversion/fear to driving on a bridge over a big river. Actually I don’t even like standing too close to big rivers at all. I always joke it must have been a traumatic previous life experience.

Other than that, probably bugs. Spiders and ticks especially skeeve me out. Don’t even get me started about wasps and hornets. When it comes to bugs, I’m a devout Darwinist, survival of the fittest, it’s them or me. 😳

Respected Contributor

My Extreme fear is Escalators, and Cats. I was attacked by a cat jumping off a porch roof in the dark in the winter and was scratched severely almost into my eye in the corner of my eye.And I don't like my bedroom closed since I was in the hospital this year. I guess for fear I won't be heard if I need help.

Respected Contributor

I have always been afraid of dogs.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's Your "Phobia"?

[ Edited ]

Some fears are taught.   All you have to do is open up the bible.  Fear of snakes is one example.  It's not a natural fear. Only taught.  Some fears are in genes built in since birth.  the most common fear. Fear of heights is a survival trait.  Even if you fear is mild, you know not to get to close to the edge of something high.  Some fears are short term.  Like being afraid of a dog. That happens almost always  in childhood with a bad experience.  Some fears can be overcome.  Fear of flying.  People have gone to classes (on planes) to try and overcome them because they need to fly.