Honored Contributor

Re: What's Your "Phobia"?

[ Edited ]

Phobias are irrational fears. Sounds like most of the fears mentioned so far are pretty rational. I am terrified of heights. Really terrified of them. I also don’t like elevators....one of my drs is now in a fancy office building that has a glass elevator; when his office moved to that new building and I saw that elevator, I thought I was going to pass out! Fortunately, he is on the third floor. I take the stairs. I also have always been afraid of rollercoasters and other “thrill rides”. It’s a Small World is good for me!

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Phobias are irrational fears. Sounds like most of the fears mentioned so far are pretty rational. I am terrified of heights. Really terrified of them. I also don’t like elevators....one of my drs is now in a fancy office building that has a glass elevator; when his office moved to that new building and I saw that elevator, I thought I was going to pass out! Fortunately, he is on the third floor. I take the stairs. I also have always been afraid of rollercoasters and other “thrill rides”. It’s a Small World is good for me!

@lovesrecess, it's rational to be careful when swimming; it's irrational to terrified by even the thought of swimming. It's all a matter of degree in terms of reaction.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Snakes, some spiders...a lot more to list/

Honored Contributor

That must have been the Gen Wilson bridge.  It is about 6 miles long.

The Ponchartrain going west from Mobile to NOLA is 24 miles long and for 8 miles you cannot see any land in any direction, all water in any direction for 8 miles.  

Respected Contributor

toxic people

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

crowds

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Your "Phobia"?

[ Edited ]

Elevators (I will walk steps slowly up to 4 flights with a bad back rather than get in one)

MRI machines (which I must go in every 2 to 3 years to check my spine damage. Yes I go in open ones which my head is directly under it and I have a brace over my neck for the C spine one, and cant stand them, need a prescription to do it).

Mice/rats brrrr 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

@Financialgrl   I don't drive and never did.  I don't mind if someone else who knows the area drives me around DC.  I was very familiar with the NW quadrant of DC for several years before retiring and moving here in autumn, 2017, to be near grown children and my grandsons.

Unfortunately, I now live in the Capitol Hill SE DC area so am still getting familiar with it by endlessly walking around in good weather.  The traffic is whacko.  I have always waited for the walk light wherever I've lived but here it is essential to avoid being clipped or really mowed over.  I try to do my walking or taking the Metro or bus on off peak hours.  Still learning to navigate that system too.

When I can't figure something out I hail a cab and don't feel the least bit guilty about spending the money.  Just not ready to give up the ghost yet.

And snakes and heights are my biggest phobias.

Valued Contributor

I was bite by a snake as a child of 3.  I have a huge fear today of snakes and roaches.

Respected Contributor

I was frighted of dead people due to my Mother scaring my Brother and I . He still is terrified, I was lucky and over came it due to a show that was on T.V. called "Family Plots" It was a reallity show .

Respected Contributor

Not a fan of highways either! I take back roads.