Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Your Favorite Stress Food?

@GingerPeach wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

I usually can't eat when I'm stressed. 

Oh, my.  I really wish that were true for me.

me too!

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

Pizza, Chinese, popcorn, cake with buttercream frosting (the kind you get at the store bakery), nachos, pistachios (don't know why, love to crack I guess).

Cereal at night, french toast.   Oy.... I feel fat just writing all this down.  

Spoiler

Super Contributor

MyGirlsMom, I love this thread!  Thanks for thinking it up.

I don't have a stress food; in fact, I go the opposite way.

As a kid, there was no such thing as treats or desserts.  Balanced meals (most of which I hated)  were the order of the day.

When I was a young woman with my first serious bf, we found THE most beautiful stray dog.  She was older, lumbering, with one ear chewed off.  No collar or ID.  No such thing as microchip IDs in those days.  I had been taught to fear dogs, so I cowered, but bf said, she's a pussycat!  Give her a chance.

We shared an apt.  Brought Stray home and she went directly to toilet for water.  My neighbor had dog so I rang doorbell to ask for dogfoood. Our new pup lapped it all up then fell asleep on my feet.  Love affair between her and me cemented that night.

One year later, bf and I always fighting.  Came home from work one Friday night to find empty apt. Found a note.  "I'm leaving you.  I took Dog and going back to virginia.  I really can't keep her down there, so I will probably leave her at truck stop."  He knew how to hurt me.

O.m.g.   no such thing as cel phones, no way to reach him.  I went out of my mind.   Called two gfs to come over, who said EAT!  DRINK!! YOU LOOK LIKE S---!

I couldn't put a thing in my mouth.  In course of next 3 datys, I lost 12 lbs (oh how I wish I could do that today! Ha.)  Thoughts of  stress food,  or ANY food, made me sick.

All's well that ends well.  Bf brought pup back, apologized and kissed me goodbye forever.  Pup and I lived happily ever after.  She was THE best dog who ever was.

Nowadays when I'm under stress -- and caring for elderly mom with dementia and younger sis with clinical depression -- it's almost every day, the LAST thing I desire is food.  I sort of envy those who can still enjoy food and drink.  

Esteemed Contributor

Like some others said when I am stressed, it is hard for me to eat. My favorite comforting foods though are collard greens cooked the southern way with a smoked turkery leg or ham hock with hot pepper vinegar drizzled over them. Homemade baked mac and cheese, creme brulee, tres leches cake and Barefoot Contessas warm French lentil recipe. Mmmm, I love that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

Anything chocolate.
Respected Contributor

A glass of wine and some cheese. Then maybe another glass of wine, depending on my stress level. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I could eat when I'm stressed.  My body just shuts down until the stress is gone.  Months later, I pay for it.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I don't have a favorite stress food - but when I am stressed, I usually look to have something to eat from either a Thai, Vietnamese, Indian or Greek restaurant..

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Valued Contributor

Easy one for me; a jar of Jiff.  I cannot have it in my house or I will devour it in a short time.

Trusted Contributor

Sweets..cookies, candy and soda (Coca-Cola).