Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Wrong with People?

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

This isn't just a recent phenomenon, for those of us who remember the Kitty Genovese case in NYC in the 1960s.  If you don't, Google it.

@Pearlee Everyone thought someone else would call as I remember.  

@mspatmac   That case is cited in psychology texts as an example of the bystander effect and diffusion of responsibility.  

Human beings are a lot like sheep, and most would like to think they have more integrity than the next flock member, but that's usually not the case.  Humans are mostly just going along with what everyone else is doing.

It is important for everyone to learn about this unsavory aspect of human psychology, and to make a conscious decision that they will not be someone who does nothing when something is wrong.

@mistriTsquirrel This bystander effect is actually a diffusion of responsibility. When a lot of people are there we feel less responsible to report an incident. We believe someone else will do it. 

This theory does not apply to people that pull out a cell phone to video something as opposed to calling for help. 

@manny2  See my comment about humans being like sheep.

@mistriTsquirrel I saw your analogy about sheep. I just wanted to add that is's more about human conditioning rather than character, or integrity. 

Having a cell phone and using it to video an abominable act speaks directly to lack of both character and integrity  

Honored Contributor

This story sickens me.  I saw it at 6 a.m. Saturday morning, still in bed, just waking up and turning on the TV.  My heart was racing after hearing it and it stayed with me all day like a bad dream.

Usually Philly news starts with multiple overnight shootings.  I think they are at-- or close to --450 homicides so far this year.

So to hear the details of how police where shocked and dismayed that people were standing around on the train as this was taking place just makes it so much worse.

Imagine the woman's horror knowing that people were there and this continued.

I am so glad they caught the guy.  

I hope that since the passengers could be considered witnesses, that police have their names and are able to question them --before they got off the train.  It would be part of the investigation.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

I have only read the first page of this thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned .....

IMO, the ONLY excuse for not calling the police is that the train was in a place where the [assengers couldn't get a signal and make a call.   Did the story say if this train was underground or above ground at the time of the rape?

Otherwise, I hope these "witnesses" are all charged with an accessory to a crime and charged or put in jail, at least overnight.  

Respected Contributor

I remember reading that if you get attacked never yell rape or help....yell FIRE!!!!! Much more likely to get someone calling 911 that way.(a fire might hurt THEM so they get involved.) Sad state of affairs.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Above ground. The Market-Frankford line at different points is either below ground, ground level or elevated.

Also, the cars on this line are traditional city transport with a mix of lowback seats -- some facing forward and some facing in. There's standing room with poles to hold on to. When there's no one standing in this type of car, everyone can see everyone else. No "I couldn't see" excuses.

Respected Contributor

@silkyk  - I remember reading that too. When I was sexually assaulted by four drunk guys in an empty subway tunnel when I was 24, I couldn't get any sound out at all. To this day I believe the only reason I got away from them was they were too drunk to coordinate their efforts.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry you had to go through that trauma. @PickyPicky3 I hope you got the help and support you needed. 

Respected Contributor

I might as well share an example of why it's always important to call the police. 

When I was a freshman in college, one night I left the library at midnight to walk back to my dorm -- about a ten minute brisk walk. I would always take a short cut through a gas station. At midnight it was closed.

As soon as I entered the gas station lot, a car pulled in, heading right at me. I had to jump through the pump islands to save myself. It happened so fast. Then again and again. Finally the car left, and I ran out the back of the gas station.

Then I was on the street with one block to my dorm. I took a sigh of relief. The car appeared again, pulled up to the curb next to me, and the doors opened. Where to run?

The very next second the campus police pulled up and grabbed two teenage boys who were coming after me.

Someone had seen me being chased in the gas station and called the police. That person told the police I had exited through the back of the gas station so they could find me. And they did -- just in time.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 They are human, individuals - not groups of perfection as we see it.  "People" act differently in different situations and their reactions are based on their own personal experiences and past and present.

@rms1954 I don't even know what to say to this.

It has nothing to do with being perfect but everything to do with being decent.  

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

Such a heartbreaking story. Not only will the woman have to face this fear every time a man comes near her but she will likely have lost all faith in humanity knowing fellow, capable, human beings not only did nothing to help her but filmed it and posted it as entertainment for social media. She will never be the same. Smiley Sad

I wish the police could find the ones who posted the videos and charge them with a crime. It's so disturbing. I hope some good people will reach out to this woman and give her support. 

And what does this say about those who watched it on social media?  

And what does it say about social media that it was allowed to be posted for anyone to view?