Honored Contributor

Re: What's Wrong with People?

@PickyPicky3 They are human, individuals - not groups of perfection as we see it.  "People" act differently in different situations and their reactions are based on their own personal experiences and past and present.

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

People are reverting to savagery. That's what happens when morals are abandoned and anything goes. 

@Buffalogal47,  I agree.  We are all disconnected from each other.  

I wish people would stop excusing bad behavior. We just seem to excuse everyone’s behavior these days. 

Trusted Contributor

I was coming out of my local grocery store and an older man in the parking lot fell face first onto the pavement.   I was pretty far from him, but people were walking past him just looking. Doing nothing.

I ran over where he was and asked if he was ok and if he needed help.  His glasses had flown off as well as his cane.  I made sure he was ok to stand and helped him up even though I'm small in stature.   I gathered his glasses and cane and walked him to the front of the store.  He was shook up but said he was ok.  He had some scrapes on his arm and knee.  I stayed with him and asked if he needed me to call anyone.  He said he was ok and thanked me for attending to him.

I was just so aggravated that no one stopped to assist him before I ran over to him.  They just looked at him and walked by.  Really!   People don't want to get involved or they just don't care.

Another human being fell and may be hurt... people will stop to pick a penny off the pavement but not help a fellow human being.  This world is totally screwed up.

Esteemed Contributor

Such a heartbreaking story. Not only will the woman have to face this fear every time a man comes near her but she will likely have lost all faith in humanity knowing fellow, capable, human beings not only did nothing to help her but filmed it and posted it as entertainment for social media. She will never be the same. Smiley Sad

I wish the police could find the ones who posted the videos and charge them with a crime. It's so disturbing. I hope some good people will reach out to this woman and give her support. 

Respected Contributor

@rms1954   Sadly, this group of individuals all acted the same. I would say at 10:00 pm on a weeknight they all probably were tired --  some sleeping, some had gone out drinking after work, etc. But there should have been at least one person capable of doing something.

Respected Contributor

Why not have panic buttons on trains, planes, buses. No one has to use a phone to call for help. Push a button, pull a chord or something. These panic buttons are now on college campuses. Obviously, the victim would probably not be the one to push the call button  but this is horrific.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

This isn't just a recent phenomenon, for those of us who remember the Kitty Genovese case in NYC in the 1960s.  If you don't, Google it.

@Pearlee Everyone thought someone else would call as I remember.  

@mspatmac   Actually, some people did call although not many. The Genevese case gave rise to the 911 system for emergencies. This crime  was my favorite episode of the excellent I.D. Network show A Crime to Remember.  Not only because I did remember it, but because a lot about the case has come to light since then.  A few people did in fact call it in but the NY Times wanted to make it a big national story to boost the paper so there was a slant to the reporting to sensationalize it --- the slant being no one helped. That was mostly true but some people did call the police. I can't remember the details now but because people were calling different precints and phone messages weren't getting relayed or not relayed fast enough, the 911 ststem ended up evolving from this case. Most people yes, did nothing though, assuming someone else would call.  That show was really excellent and brought me to tears because Kitty could have been saved. And the actress playing her looked so much like the real Kitty. 

Honored Contributor

This makes me sick.

I too hope the "bystanders" are picked up. At least they can say why they didn't help.

I'm not a big city person. Some years ago a wise person told me never to make eye contact in a city. I thought that was strange.

I'm not a fan of the country we're living in now. No one is being held accountable. People can get away with all kinds of things.

My mom was a kind and trusting woman. I'm glad she's not around to see what we've become. I worry about my children. So much for each generation trying to leave a better place for the next. 

Respected Contributor

What's wrong with people? That list, in this day and age, is very long!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I read this.  Upper Darby, PA.  No one said or did a thing to help her.  OMG, what are we becoming as a race?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life