Esteemed Contributor

Re: What’s Wrong With This Headline?

@Bookplate wrote:

Editors are an endangered species.

On a related depressing note, the Gannett Corporation, after firing hundreds of journalists that cover local news, is hiring reporters specifically to cover Taylor Swift and Beyonce exclusively.  Its Idiocracy come to life.

That's because Beyonce and Taylor Swift are much more important than local news. :Woman Frustrated I constantly get Taylor Swift and Beyonce on my Facebook news feed. Blocked it all as I'm not interested. The hype is ridiculous. 

Grammar no longer matters and no one cares if headlines sound strange. It's probably all considered outdated now. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I’ve noticed that online there is often a disconnect between the headline that they use to catch your attention versus the actual article.

I’m pretty sure they are not written by the same person.

I’ve read stories from established news organizations where the article is fine, but that headline is filled with errors or totally misleading.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

If I rewrote this headline, I think I'd have to use two sentences to do it. Is anyone here up for the challenge of rewriting this using only one sentence? 

Here's my shot at it:

After having given birth, Princess Eugenie steps out for the first time with her sister, Princess Beatrice, on the red carpet.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understood it. Punctuation would help.

Think they have to get the message out, trouble is they have only so much space or character spaces to do it in.

Honored Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

On the NYC news we see (hear) it all the time.....for example : MAN IS SHOT IN THE

BRONX .......where is your Bronx located on your body ?

@Danky2 wrote:

On the NYC news we see (hear) it all the time.....for example : MAN IS SHOT IN THE

BRONX .......where is your Bronx located on your body ?

the Bronx is up and the Batterys down, 

Honored Contributor

Punctuation sure would make a difference!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

...Here's the headline:  

Princess Eugenie Steps Out for the First Time Since Giving Birth on the Red Carpet with Sister Princess Beatrice

@Mindy D wrote:

If I rewrote this headline, I think I'd have to use two sentences to do it. Is anyone here up for the challenge of rewriting this using only one sentence? 

@beach-mom  @Mindy D 

Princess Eugenie Accompanied by Her Sister Princess Beatrice Steps Out on the Red Carpet for the First Time Since Giving Birth.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

Thank you, @beach-mom ; this gave me a good giggle.

Respected Contributor

what's wrong with it?  EVERYTHING!!!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

LOL!

OH MY GOODNESS! That IS headline-worthy!

Honestly (rant coming) I am so disgusted with the literary abilities of articles, etc, that I try to read online!

Years ago I read paperback novels like a madwoman. A few years passed and I tried it again. BIG NO! So many spelling errors and it just looked very sloppy!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~