Honored Contributor

Re: What's Up With Your Leftovers?

@FUTURE wrote:

Hey, @NoelSeven!! Sorry to hear about your hospitalization. I hope you're on the mend!! I hosted this year, and we didn't have a ton of leftovers, plus I sent everyone home with lots of food. Hubby and I are on the homestretch. Im slowly whittling away at my last piece of pie. Lol!! That big box idea sounds really nice. I'll tell ya, it is a ton of work to cook for a crowd. Between that and cleaning and hostess duties, I didn't sit down except to eat or sleep for two days! Smiley Wink I told my husband we might need to switch it up next year, but everyone loves the food and leftovers, so we'll see. Smiley Wink

Hi FUTURE Smiley Happy

Thank you for the well wishes!  My mother always cooked for a crowd, I did it several times and you're right.  It's exhausting and just too much.

Do you have your guests bring a dish?  I think that's the only way to do it, but even then it's a lot to take on.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

My husband will eat a plate of all the same exact meal for two weeks in a row if I don't get it vac sealed and frozen! 

What I do is probably kind of weird but sometimes I'll have a meal of just a small bowl of mashed potatoes, or mashers with a little turkey and gravy on top.   Yesterday for lunch I just had a small bowl of the green beans that I make (almonds, mushrooms, pancetta, and lemon - love!).   I'll just have one of the things heated up in a bowl and I'm happy!

I like turkey sandwiches too - just a whole grain bread, a little butter, and the turkey and I love it.

One thing I also enjoy that probably sounds a little weird is to take some of the turkey breast and put it into a grilled cheese sandwich.  Now, this is not at all the same with some pressed, sliced turkey breast that you buy at the grocery store in those packages.  But with some REAL turkey breast from the turkey you recently roasted yourself, it's really good - just the turkey and some melty cheese.  I use whole grain bread - butter the outsides and grill in a nonstick pan on the stove.  yum!  Smiley Happy

I usually put aside a 2lb package of the turkeyd (vacuum sealed and in the freezer it goes) for turkey chili.  That's very popular here.  I make up a big batch, freeze it in portion sizes, pop it out of the L&L bowls, and vacuum seal so it stays perfect for a very long time.

Love turkey!  Smiley Happy

CB, What ISN'T good in grilled cheese form?  Woman LOL

I do bowls too, quite often.  Once in awhile one thing, more often a little rice and veg on top, or bits of leftover chicken.  It drives my daughter nuts, "Mom, you aren't really going to save this one bite of chicken for lunch tomorrow, are you?"  "Why, yes, I am."  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@chickenbutt  I do a "mash-up" too!

Dressing/cranberry sauce/turkey/gravy/mashed potatoes warmed and mashed up together... YUM... : )Smiley LOL

I love a sandwich like that.  Turkey, gravy, dressing and cran sauce,  Decadent.  Probably won't have one this year... too decadent Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I had two turkey sandwiches on toasted brioche with avocado and Best Foods mayo.  I am a happy camper!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@NoelSeven  You were in the hospital?  What happened are you OK?

How did you find an upscale vendor?  We did WF and the turkey was succulent and delicious and we had way too much food.

I wonder if there is a clever way, at all, to ask people to contribute by bringing a dish next year (or at Christmas) if we have it here again.

Hi loves Smiley Happy

A lupus flare.  I felt it coming for three weeks, then it took a week for tests and it hit.  The perfect storm: lupus and a really bad cold.  I woke up in the morning and my throat was closing.  I was chastised for not calling an ambulance, I had DH drive me in.  They said it was life-threatening.  But... thanks to heavy steroids and round the clock treatment for several days, I beat back the lupus again Smiley Happy  It will take a couple of months to recover and in the meantime, I have chipmonk/prednisone cheeks.

My daughter researches almost everything.  She checked out local Thanksgiving dinner vendors and chose the top rated one.  We ordered just in time for the cut off.

It had everything: precooked turkey that just had to be in the oven for awhile to be perfect, hand made cran sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, dressing, a casserole of yam chunks with cranberries and an orange sauce, two kinds of rolls, green beans which needed to be just warmed in a skillet, and a pumpkin pie.  The pie tasted just like my mother's Libby pie. 

Honored Contributor

@Mama Mia wrote:

Dear Noel,

I am so sorry to hear you were in the hospital.Cat Sad  Heed your doctor's orders and get well. I think the Christmas meal should be from the same delivery service, make it easy on yourself for awhile. I am glad I found you posting, I get worried when I don't see you or LuLu2,

Let those furry babies snuggle with you, that relieves a lot of stress and I'll bet they're with you now.Take care and rest,my friend.Heart

mm

mm...

Best wishes for a very happy holiday season for you and yours, including the kitties.

You know how much I care for you, my friend Heart

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

We had ham.  I used some for homemade pizza yesterday, the rest will be used for soup............

Happy Holidays, Sydney Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you are out of the hospital. 

We have a ton of leftovers. We ended up making a 20 lb turkey because I couldn't find one smaller at the store. Half the dressing has already been eaten though. And half the cheesecake I made for dessert lol. I've got at least 4 whole sweet potatoes leftover still too. 

My husband took me out to lunch today because he's going on a business trip this week so I don't think much of the leftovers will get eaten today. I think I'm going to have to freeze some until he gets back. Although I know the kids will eat some we have a lot. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

Noel, I am so glad you are home and taking it easy.  Your Thanksgiving dinner sounds great.  I hope you get better and stronger every day. Enjoy the holiday season.   CH

Esteemed Contributor

@CharleyHorse

WAVING Hi! 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow