Honored Contributor

What's Up For The 4th of July?

I got the decorations up this past weekend, the fireplace mantel and the top of the entertainment center look festive.  DH put up red, white and blue lights under the mantel and down the sides of the fireplace.

Now I have to work on the menu.  Do others have traditional foods they prepare for the day?

My favorite guy, Kevin of Closet Cooking, just came out with his collection for Summer cooking, I'll share that post below.

Image result for 4th of july gifs

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: What's Up For The 4th of July?

[ Edited ]

Summer  Holiday Recipes from Closet Cooking

There's a lot more recipes in the collection than those shown below.  Use the link for the entire collection.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2015/06/summer-holiday-recipes.html

Summer Holiday Recipes

Honored Contributor

Ever since I can remember, 4th of July meant hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob and watermelon. Our family hosted (at the shore) my mother's family reunion.  My aunts brought the side dishes.

My husband and I will host our family and some friends at the same house, as we bought our family's shore house. The menu hasn't changed all that much, as we like to keep it simple.

Honored Contributor

Hi lulu, I like it pretty simple, too.  Your menu sounds good Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, it's difficult to grill where I am, the 4th is almost always foggy and cold.

I was thinking of getting ready-made ribs this year, maybe at Costco, and building around that with salads and sides.  I did find a few recipes for doing baby back ribs in a slow cooker, that's another idea I'm toying with.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Regular Contributor

Our menu is similar to Lulu's, but with potato salad or macaroni salad instead of corn. Looking at the pics you posted Noel makes me want to try something new. They look so good. CH
Honored Contributor

Hi CH, I can tell you that Kevin shares wonderful recipes of his own.  He's an online food blogger, I usually put up his holiday specials and we share family favorites here.

Feel free to add yours or suggest others.  I like to do maccaroni and potato salad, also.  Lately I look for lighter versions.

Honored Contributor

I wish I was having a party, I would make the corn dip in a heart beat.  It looks delicious!  Heart

Thanks for posting Noel!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any great recipes to share since I've never been much of a cook, but that guacamole and the chicken fajitas look delicious. I think they could be the start of a great menu! 

Honored Contributor

Hi mtc, it's always so good to see you Smiley Happy

Why not make the corn dip anyway?  Nice fresh veg, be your own party and celebrate Heart  Cut the recipe down if it makes too much.

Honored Contributor

Hi SuzieQ_2,  I don't cook as much as I used to.  I try to choose a really easy main dish, like the ribs someone else made, LOL, and then have fun making sides.

If you really don't like to cook, a place like Costco has pretty much everything, fresh made for you.  Salads and desserts to go.