Honored Contributor

Re: What's Up For St. Patrick's Day?

I'm going with apple cake. And maybe green chile enchiladas!

Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2015 september said:

I'm going with apple cake. And maybe green chile enchiladas!

I like it! Why not? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I bought straws from Michael's, white with green shamrocks. Now I'm trying to think of something appropriate. I saw one idea which was to put lime sherbet in a glass and add some 7 Up for a totally green look. Maybe.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

Almost all DH's familiy's Irish his mom and dad were both born in Ireland. There's a pretty big Irish population in especially the St.Paul area & they have St. Pat parades etc. and a nice Irish Fair in the summers.......Whole time we lived in MN & WI we went to their home at St. Pats and she was a great cook....... since moving to AZ (haven't found many big AZ/Irish celebrations here lol!) I've tried cooking my own but I'm not a great cook like his mom & it's hard getting the family to give up "secret" recipes lol..........Corned beef and cabbage, colcannon, soda bread, always bread pudding or rice pudding. His mom always made barmbrack.....haven't attempted that one.

Nice thread!Smile

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2015 ShowMe said:

This year, as in the past few years, I have had a "Q" St. Patrick's Day thread going in celebration of the Day... We have a lot of fun talking about what folks like, dislike, what they are purchasing, etc. If you care to join in, please do so. It is usually done here on Viewpoints. No, I don't sit up all night for the thread, but folks do post on it all hours of the night......

Hope you do have a thread ShowMe! I love watching the shows on the Q......makes me mad they don't have a full 24 hours tho.

Contributor

We do celebrate and eat corned beef & potatoes/cabbage/carrots that day. (all the proper trimmings & desserts too) The house is decorated for the kiddies!

Jerz

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2015 jessa said:

Almost all DH's familiy's Irish his mom and dad were both born in Ireland. There's a pretty big Irish population in especially the St.Paul area & they have St. Pat parades etc. and a nice Irish Fair in the summers.......Whole time we lived in MN & WI we went to their home at St. Pats and she was a great cook....... since moving to AZ (haven't found many big AZ/Irish celebrations here lol!) I've tried cooking my own but I'm not a great cook like his mom & it's hard getting the family to give up "secret" recipes lol..........Corned beef and cabbage, colcannon, soda bread, always bread pudding or rice pudding. His mom always made barmbrack.....haven't attempted that one.

Nice thread!Smile

Nice family story, jessa Smile

I don't know where you are in AZ, but if you're anywhere near Phoenix, Yelp shows 10 good places for Irish food & a pub.

Check out this place, Tim Finnegan's Irish Restaurant & Pub:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tim-finnegans-irish-restaurant-and-pub-phoenix

I have a lot of collected recipes, and I'm thinking of making colcannon over the weekend, I've always wanted to try it. If you'd like, I can post it here for you... this one has the traditional thin sliced cabbage in the potatoes, but also some bacon in it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2015 Jerzgirl said:

We do celebrate and eat corned beef & potatoes/cabbage/carrots that day. (all the proper trimmings & desserts too) The house is decorated for the kiddies!

Jerz

And I know how you love your grandchildren

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Honored Contributor

Oh, well... might as well put this up while I'm thinking about it.

http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2012/03/colcannon.html

COLCANNON

6 servings, 10 min. prep, 20 min cooking time.

Ingredients

2 lbs of potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 slices of lean bacon, cooked and crumbled (use more bacon if desired)
2 1/2 cups of green cabbage, shredded
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1/4 cup of milk
2 tbsp of butter

Directions

Heat a large pot of water over high heat. Add chopped potatoes into the water and boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and keep warm.

While the potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Place the lean bacon in the skillet and cook until crisp, remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel to drain. Chop into crumbles. Remove all but 1/2 teaspoon of bacon grease from the skillet. Add the chopped green cabbage to the skillet and cook, stirring often for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.

Add the cabbage, most of the bacon, milk, and butter to the drained potatoes then mash with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste and ladle into a serving bowl. Add the last bit of bacon to the top and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net

Honored Contributor

Jessa

Here's your own recipe, and you don't have to give it to your MIL Wink

Irish Barmbrack Recipe

Irish BarmBrack 5 stars

Recipe on link from AllRecipes (a good source imo), but I can't get it to c&p here, so you'll have to click the link.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/irish-barmbrack/

Esteemed Contributor

Corned beef/cabbage, plenty of leprechauns and shamrocks around the house and of course we always go to the local parade. We love parades !

Great recipes. Thanks !!!