Respected Contributor

Re: What's Something You Really Resent Paying For?

I hate paying for services I used to be able to do for myself.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet  Amen to that!  

@chiclet wrote:

I hate paying for services I used to be able to do for myself.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Haha, @SloopJohnB.  I had forgotten about jelly glasses.  We had a million of them!

DH and I enjoy a little glass of medically recommended vino now and again before supper, and we swear it tastes better served in our vintage Flinstones glasses from the late '80s.

Sometimes, for a change of pace, we drink from Snoopy and Lucy.

Respected Contributor

@violann  Oh, that's funny.  Well, I'm glad you are following doctor's orders.  🍷🍷

Sometimes when I am feeling a little scandalous, I will partake of a little bit in a Tom and Jerry one.  🐈🐁

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

A garbage bill for a property that has been vacant for several years and never has garbage. 

Trusted Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Every year I resent paying those property taxes --- which usually go up. The government seems to penalize us for owning a home -- so they keep adding extras ---- as though they want us to struggle paying it. 
What do they do with all the money they collect (unfairly) ---- waste it; pay expenses that shouldn't be paid with the property taxes --- pocket it??????

It's like our money falls into a deep hole - never to be seen again.

Well, they pay for infrastructure, they pay for Fire, Police, things like that.  I seriously doubt they are pocketing it.  Yes I own a home and pay property taxes as well, but when I needed Emergency services they were right here.  Without those tax dollars, they would not have been,

Super Contributor

Resort fees at hotels/resorts that are tacked on and inflate the advertised rates. Usually the resort fees are for newspaper, bicycle use, etc. and located in the extremely small print somewhere obscure among the mutlitude of beautifully photographed images. Since they are fees and not included in the room rate. 

Respected Contributor

@MildredM 

Yes, this is one of the biggest scams around. I wish I knew a way to avoid the fees.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I have always had an issue with how property taxes are done.  They mostly pay for the schools, and that is a very good thing.  But I always thought the rates should be partially based on how many kids you have in schools.  For example, I always thought it would be fair to have one rate if you have 0-1 kid, a higher rate if you have 2-4 kids, and a higher rate if you have more than 4 kids.  It seems fair.   

Just curious...Would you please explain how this would work and be fair if I  have 4 kids and make $50k and you have 1 kid and make $100k? 🤔

Perhaps people shouldn't have children they can't afford.

Wow! What a privileged and elitist attitude! 

So according to this way of thinking, you should not have children unless you have a full-proof parenting plan based entirely on financial viability? I can only assume that people who ascribe to this way of thinking are themselves examples(and their offspring) of where a child is born alongside a magical alignment of perfect job, great living arrangements and unlimited family support.

"My, aren't you all so lucky!" SMH😥

How sad! And sad too that so many don't understand the importance and how property taxes work.

Oh and while we're discriminating, my 2 children always went to private school. Why should I have to pay anything for school taxes? Why should I be lumped in there with someone who has 2-4 children  in public school! Not to mention now that dh and I are senior citizens. Again, no children in public school! Even our grands will be in private school! If everyone does this it won't take long before there won't be any public school. Then what?! 

It really bothers me when people complain about paying taxes for schools. Research the alternative. You'll change your mind! Or move to another planet!

@Starpolisher  I agree with you. We have lived in our home for over forty years and have been paying property taxes and school taxes. We have no children. I am glad everyone in my town pays school taxes, kids or not. Our schools are rated very high in our state. If people with no kids or no school age ones didn't pay school taxes the schools in our town would be ****** due to lack of funding. So color me happy to pay school taxes.

Trusted Contributor

It is not something I have to do, but I hate seeing a GoFundMe or other request for money.  I am not a bank.  I am not a bad person if I chose not to contribute.