Super Contributor

Re: What's Something You Really Resent Paying For?

Cable.

Respected Contributor

Soup bones.  Remember when a butcher would ask you if you needed some bones and give they to you at no charge?

Esteemed Contributor

@SloopJohnB -- you brought back memories with your comment:  "but they would GIVE you something."

I remember when banks would give away toasters, blanklets, etc., when you added to your savings account.  When my bank gave away baby trees every arbor day.  When gas stations gave away drinking glasses.  One drinking glass came in every box of Duz laundry detergent.  Grocery stores gave away silverware, pots and pans, etc.

The Oneida "Paul Revere" silverware I use to this day I got at my local grocery store, one spoon or fork at a time, back in the 70's.  Those were the days!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@tototwo OMG.....Yes!  Toasters, irons, and other small appliances!  And yes, I remember the glassware at gas stations.  I remember Duz, too.  Good memories!!!  I still have some glassware that were giveaways.  Remember Welch's grape jelly with the Flintstones and other cartoons on their jelly glasses?  I had so many.  I sold them.....correction, practically gave them away.  A guy was collecting them so he got the whole lot of them.

Also, I'm not sure if things like this were in your area, but grocery stores used to give out free samples.... And I don't mean the little bite size things like today.... Pre Covid that is....but this store I remember in Miami used to give out whole portions....Like literally a whole corndog on the stick, freshly made, for example....

Nowadays, I realize that would be forbidden, but I ate it and still lived to tell about it.  LOL. 

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

Haha, @SloopJohnB.  I had forgotten about jelly glasses.  We had a million of them!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Tommy Copper face masks, horrible they lie, ill fitting and NOT breathable.....when I use Instacart my local grocery store charges 5 cents a bag! as there is no way for me to use my canvas bags when I am not physically there doing the shopping Instacart is!....here they have banned all plastic bags and you must bring your own reusables or they charge you for paper bags

Respected Contributor

@tipsy  Really?  I never heard that.  I might just test that theory out.  Now, if only they would make the vacuum and car wash stands free, too.  LOL

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I have always had an issue with how property taxes are done.  They mostly pay for the schools, and that is a very good thing.  But I always thought the rates should be partially based on how many kids you have in schools.  For example, I always thought it would be fair to have one rate if you have 0-1 kid, a higher rate if you have 2-4 kids, and a higher rate if you have more than 4 kids.  It seems fair.   

Just curious...Would you please explain how this would work and be fair if I  have 4 kids and make $50k and you have 1 kid and make $100k? 🤔

Perhaps people shouldn't have children they can't afford.

Wow! What a privileged and elitist attitude! 

So according to this way of thinking, you should not have children unless you have a full-proof parenting plan based entirely on financial viability? I can only assume that people who ascribe to this way of thinking are themselves examples(and their offspring) of where a child is born alongside a magical alignment of perfect job, great living arrangements and unlimited family support.

"My, aren't you all so lucky!" SMH😥

How sad! And sad too that so many don't understand the importance and how property taxes work.

Oh and while we're discriminating, my 2 children always went to private school. Why should I have to pay anything for school taxes? Why should I be lumped in there with someone who has 2-4 children  in public school! Not to mention now that dh and I are senior citizens. Again, no children in public school! Even our grands will be in private school! If everyone does this it won't take long before there won't be any public school. Then what?! 

It really bothers me when people complain about paying taxes for schools. Research the alternative. You'll change your mind! Or move to another planet!

Not changing my mind or moving to aother planet!!  I can have my own opinion just like you!

Trusted Contributor

Car insurance.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

Like all our other taxes, they probably go to help other countries. We have homeless, starving people in this country, yet, all our tax money goes to fund other countries.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.