Valued Contributor

Re: What's Something You Really Resent Paying For?

I'm dating myself, definitely Marie Osmond dolls. A lot of them were poorly made, one of the legs broke on one that sat on our spare bed, the hair on a lot of them is a mess. Mary Beth and Marie were a good sales team!
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Paper towels. They disappear so quickly! No matter how giant a pack I get, every time I turn around we are down to the last roll.

i bought 2 small metal towel holders -- It attaches to the top of the cupboard below the sink. I keep a holder under my kitchen sink and the other below my bathroom sink. Every day I place hand towels in each holder -- so I only use a few paper towels. I'm sure I've saved $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thru the years.

Honored Contributor

Property taxes. They have tripled in the 26 years we have been here, and we really get nothing for them.

We live very rural, very few services like many in cities and suburbs are used to getting and paying for. We have terrible roads, no water or sewer systems (rural, so have our own well and septic), just a couple of sheriff deputies for the entire county, no police department, a volunteer fire department (crappy one at that), lousy public school system that we didn't use. Just not a lot of services for the amount the taxes have increased. 

The way it works, the nicer your property, the better you maintain/improve/develop it, the higher you are taxed. I think it ought to go the other way. The more you junk it up, the less you maintain it, the more they should charge you. Stop penalizing those that keep a place nice, and make the area desirable to live in, and instead punish those that lead areas into ruin with their neglect.

Respected Contributor

@Grand Happy wrote:
I'm dating myself, definitely Marie Osmond dolls. A lot of them were poorly made, one of the legs broke on one that sat on our spare bed, the hair on a lot of them is a mess. Mary Beth and Marie were a good sales team!

I never bought any of her dolls but I did watch the shows. Have you seen ball jointed dolls? It's not a brand it's a type of doll. Some of them are so beautiful. I got obsessed for quite a while. Check out Fairyland Bjd's on Pinterest or Flickr if you want to see how becautiful and customizable they are. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Paper towels. They disappear so quickly! No matter how giant a pack I get, every time I turn around we are down to the last roll.

i bought 2 small metal towel holders -- It attaches to the top of the cupboard below the sink. I keep a holder under my kitchen sink and the other below my bathroom sink. Every day I place hand towels in each holder -- so I only use a few paper towels. I'm sure I've saved $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ thru the years.

That is an excellent set up. I need to try something like that. The fewer paper towels I use the better.

That drawer-shaped cabinet panel in front of the sink doesn't earn its keep. It does nothing. I should attach a little towel holder to it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

While I realize that with inflation, just about everything goes up.  But if I had to say I resent paying for something, it would be things that you just took for granted were free once upon a time.

Some were already mentioned.....

Air (for tires, inflatibles, etc)

Water

Television shows (basic, even with antenna might not be able to view several channels)

Paper & plastic bags (at some stores, anyway)

Parking (where it used to be free, like at the beach)

Boxes (for clothing when you buy some at certain department stores)

Bank accounts (not only used to be free, but they would GIVE YOU something).

It's my understanding that legally they can't charge you for air.  If you ask the clerk to turn the air on they will.  

Esteemed Contributor

Property tax.

Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I have always had an issue with how property taxes are done.  They mostly pay for the schools, and that is a very good thing.  But I always thought the rates should be partially based on how many kids you have in schools.  For example, I always thought it would be fair to have one rate if you have 0-1 kid, a higher rate if you have 2-4 kids, and a higher rate if you have more than 4 kids.  It seems fair.   

Just curious...Would you please explain how this would work and be fair if I  have 4 kids and make $50k and you have 1 kid and make $100k? 🤔

Perhaps people shouldn't have children they can't afford.

Respected Contributor

Usually just things I pay for that don't work.  We used to have a lousy Comcast system that would go off and on all day.  And does the Comerica Bank online system ever work?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@arrabella wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I have always had an issue with how property taxes are done.  They mostly pay for the schools, and that is a very good thing.  But I always thought the rates should be partially based on how many kids you have in schools.  For example, I always thought it would be fair to have one rate if you have 0-1 kid, a higher rate if you have 2-4 kids, and a higher rate if you have more than 4 kids.  It seems fair.   

Just curious...Would you please explain how this would work and be fair if I  have 4 kids and make $50k and you have 1 kid and make $100k? 🤔

Perhaps people shouldn't have children they can't afford.

Wow! What a privileged and elitist attitude! 

So according to this way of thinking, you should not have children unless you have a full-proof parenting plan based entirely on financial viability? I can only assume that people who ascribe to this way of thinking are themselves examples(and their offspring) of where a child is born alongside a magical alignment of perfect job, great living arrangements and unlimited family support.

"My, aren't you all so lucky!" SMH😥

How sad! And sad too that so many don't understand the importance and how property taxes work.

Oh and while we're discriminating, my 2 children always went to private school. Why should I have to pay anything for school taxes? Why should I be lumped in there with someone who has 2-4 children  in public school! Not to mention now that dh and I are senior citizens. Again, no children in public school! Even our grands will be in private school! If everyone does this it won't take long before there won't be any public school. Then what?! 

It really bothers me when people complain about paying taxes for schools. Research the alternative. You'll change your mind! Or move to another planet!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran