Trusted Contributor

Re: What's Something You Really Resent Paying For?

This seems petty, but I refuse to put that 25 cents in the slot to get a cart at Aldi.  I know you get it back, but it seems so silly to me.  I never go there to buy more than I can carry.

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Right now, I would have to say dental bills.  Crowns and root canals especially!

I agree.....the prices they charge are OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Anything they want to do costs in the thousands.....and then when you look like you just got hit by a Mack truck when they tell you the amount......they tell you about the

"credit Care"(?) type thing you can use...basically a credit card...............like that doesn't count for the $9,000. quote you just got and have to pay back!!

Honored Contributor

I resent paying for high shipping and handling fees when the price of the item I am buying Isi already too high to begin with. Roll the shipping cost into the price of the item and post it as such.
Honored Contributor

I have always had an issue with how property taxes are done.  They mostly pay for the schools, and that is a very good thing.  But I always thought the rates should be partially based on how many kids you have in schools.  For example, I always thought it would be fair to have one rate if you have 0-1 kid, a higher rate if you have 2-4 kids, and a higher rate if you have more than 4 kids.  It seems fair.   

As to the dentist, yeah that is a drag.   I'm at the point in life where if I need a crown again it's just going to be 'pull it'.  I did that last time.  It was a lower, all the way in the back, tooth so it's really no loss to me.    I do a lot at this point to avoid such things, as I've learned a lot over the last 20-25 years about doing as much as I can to properly care for them.   I get that I can only do so much and you really do need the dental care.

Back in the day, one cool thing was that your work medical ins had dental and vision care coverage included and you didn't have to pay at all.  That was nice as, going out into the world, I needed a bunch of dental care since we had none throughout our childhood.  When I got old enough to notice this 'taking care of your teeth' stuff, probably on tv, I asked about it and she slammed a box of A&H baking soda down on the counter and said "use your finger".   So, needless to say, by the time each of us got out in the world we had to have one of those dental sessions where they put you to sleep and do the whole thing.   

IIRC, now, it costs a couple thousand if you need a crown.   In an old mouth, I just don't think it's worth it.  Well, MY mouth anyway.  I don't make the call for anybody else.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

@Spurt  Vet bills can be absolutely outrageous.  I have found a few ways to lower them:  1.  Feed your dog REAL food!  2. Do not over vaccinate!  3. Avoid using poison flea/tick and heartworm medications!  I can elaborate if you're interested. Smiley Happy

@spent2much 

I've had dogs and cats all my life, but now just cats....

Yep, I agree...my vet won't event vaccinate every year because of the studies linking frequent vaccinations to cancer.....And since my cats are indoors, I limit most medications like flea medications, but sometimes we get bad flea infestations from feral cats in the area. One year I had a real bad problem just from me bringing the fleas inside just by walking around outside my home and neighborhood---I had to board my cats at the vet's, and then had to have an exterminator treat my home....

I'm sorry if I've gone off topic here, but this really hit a nerve.

I've had 2 goldens and both died from cancer.  It seemed like every time I went to the vet there was another vaccination they needed:

Rabies

Distemper

Parvo

Adenovirus

Parainfluenza

Bordetella bronchiseptica

Canine parainfluenza virus

Leptospira

Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease)

Canine Influenza Virus-H3N8 and H3N2

Canine coronavirus

Not to mention:

Heartworm pills

Flea & tick medicine

And let's not forget all the boosters every year.

Got to the point where I started to wonder how much chemical *rap their bodies could take.  I have no plans to get another dog, but if I did, I would definitely NOT buy any more commercial dog food and I would have a serious discussion with the vet about vaccinations.  Even though I had reservations about all these vaccinations, I had no choice but to get them if I ever needed to board my dog.  The kennels won't board them without the vaccinations. 

The kennels think they're being so careful, but when I boarded my last golden (they made it sound like a fancy spa), he developed a horrible skin condition a few days later.  Sanitation measures leave a lot to be desired even at the best of kennels.

Again, I apologize for going off topic.  I feel like my dogs trusted me and I failed them miserably.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@caroln242  I can relate to a certain degree.  I remember, back in the day, when I had dogs and cats I had no idea that Purina puppy chow, dog chow, cat chow, etc, was pure junk and fed them this for their entire lives.

To this day I feel really bad about that.  Smiley Sad   Now I'm very particular that I give them good quality food.

Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

@Spurt  Vet bills can be absolutely outrageous.  I have found a few ways to lower them:  1.  Feed your dog REAL food!  2. Do not over vaccinate!  3. Avoid using poison flea/tick and heartworm medications!  I can elaborate if you're interested. Smiley Happy

@spent2much 

I've had dogs and cats all my life, but now just cats....

Yep, I agree...my vet won't event vaccinate every year because of the studies linking frequent vaccinations to cancer.....And since my cats are indoors, I limit most medications like flea medications, but sometimes we get bad flea infestations from feral cats in the area. One year I had a real bad problem just from me bringing the fleas inside just by walking around outside my home and neighborhood---I had to board my cats at the vet's, and then had to have an exterminator treat my home....

I'm sorry if I've gone off topic here, but this really hit a nerve.

I've had 2 goldens and both died from cancer.  It seemed like every time I went to the vet there was another vaccination they needed:

Rabies

Distemper

Parvo

Adenovirus

Parainfluenza

Bordetella bronchiseptica

Canine parainfluenza virus

Leptospira

Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease)

Canine Influenza Virus-H3N8 and H3N2

Canine coronavirus

Not to mention:

Heartworm pills

Flea & tick medicine

And let's not forget all the boosters every year.

Got to the point where I started to wonder how much chemical *rap their bodies could take.  I have no plans to get another dog, but if I did, I would definitely NOT buy any more commercial dog food and I would have a serious discussion with the vet about vaccinations.  Even though I had reservations about all these vaccinations, I had no choice but to get them if I ever needed to board my dog.  The kennels won't board them without the vaccinations. 

The kennels think they're being so careful, but when I boarded my last golden (they made it sound like a fancy spa), he developed a horrible skin condition a few days later.  Sanitation measures leave a lot to be desired even at the best of kennels.

Again, I apologize for going off topic.  I feel like my dogs trusted me and I failed them miserably.

My sister-in-law just told me groomers are refusing to groom the dogs unless they have flu shots! She said good-bye to the groomer and she would do it herself until she found someone else.

Respected Contributor

Electronics. I keep mine forever for that reason. The few new little things they do are not worth the price to get new unless you need a new one anyway. I kept my iPhone forever until it flew out of my purse pocket and the screen cracked. 

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

Years ago, I took my previous little lhasa to Banfield - in PetSmart. They are TOTAL thieves. They sell these rip-off Wellness Plans (which is their insurance) and charge u several hundred dollars a year. They tell u to come back in 6 months for a free check-up. Then they always find more (fake) problems with ur dog. They also LOVE to tell u that ur dog needs to have their teeth cleaned - where they get anesthesia. You have to leave ur dog all day long - and they charge several hundred dollars for that.

I now have my 2nd lhasa - she's almost 13 yrs old - and I take her to a low-cost spay & neuter place - where she's been going from 2 months old. Never had her teeth cleaned and just the basic shots.She's been in perfect health. I buy my dog Authority Brand Dogfood - made in the USA.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

Years ago, I took my previous little lhasa to Banfield - in PetSmart. They are TOTAL thieves. They sell these rip-off Wellness Plans (which is their insurance) and charge u several hundred dollars a year. They tell u to come back in 6 months for a free check-up. Then they always find more (fake) problems with ur dog. They also LOVE to tell u that ur dog needs to have their teeth cleaned - where they get anesthesia. You have to leave ur dog all day long - and they charge several hundred dollars for that.

I now have my 2nd lhasa - she's almost 13 yrs old - and I take her to a low-cost spay & neuter place - where she's been going from 2 months old. Never had her teeth cleaned and just the basic shots.She's been in perfect health. I buy my dog Authority Brand Dogfood - made in the USA.

I had this exact same experience at Banfield (inside Petsmart also).

They told me she needed her teeth cleaned, also while anesthetized and it would cost hundreds of dollars, but that if I were to purchase their Wellness insurance for pets I would get a discount.

The bill from them is always outrageous.