Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's On Your Thanksgiving Menu?

@Noel7 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I don't have a working oven, so that limits the menu considerably.  

Turkey Hot Pocket?

If you guys are planning on coming over, just let me know ahead of time so I'll know how many to buy. Smiley Very Happy

@mistriTsquirrel

I am no expert on this, mtc is... But people cook meat in an Air Fryer often. A slow cooler is another way, perhaps a turkey breast if you are interested. 

I just checked, you can google a lot of turkey breast slow cooker recipes, if you are interested.

Would you believe I forgot I have a Crock Pot?  LoL   No need to microwave dinner or cook on the stove top on Thanksgiving!!

Thanks, @Noel7.  Maybe it's time I learn how to use a Crock Pot.  Smiley Very Happy

(...but maybe I should keep a Hot Pocket or 2 handy, just in case...)

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

I'm hoping to get an invitation to my neighbors house again this year, they usually invite us.  I'll make some side dishes but Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday to make.  I'm more of a Christmas person!  I think it's because I don't like turkey and my DH likes it, so I'll make it only on Thanksgiving.  Christmas, I make what I like and that's more fun for me!  

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrelA suggetion might be Turkey Piccata, steamed veggies and a purchased dessart.  along with a good bottle of wine.  Quick and easy.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @candys mine.  I may be able to handle that. Smiley Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2- I have enjoyed reading about the different family meals. Enjoy your meal and time with your Dad. This year- I am Blessed with a new kitchen and double oven. Normally just me and DH. This year will have a special family celebrate with us and cooking for 8. I have mobility issues and will still need to prepare ahead of time. I always set the table and serving dishes one week ahead and cover with a cloth.

My menu- Honey Baked Ham and the Whoke smoked turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce and cranberry salad, Mac & Cheese casserole made with pimentos- really good and different, collards. Always bake pumpkin and sweet potato pie, and red velvet cake. I hang my head in shame as I can not make good gravy so excited about the gravy recipes shared here and will try. I have already cleaned my collards and have them in the freezer.  Next week will prepare the dressing and sweet potato casserole and put them in the freezer . I am determined not to be worn out and enjoy the day. Happy Thanksgiving, SouthernBee 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 I'm so glad you asked this question! I've been spending time reading all the great responses. Turns out there are more ways to observe Thanksgiving than there are fish in the sea! I have to think about Norman Rockwell's "Freedom From Want" painting, and realize that Norman is no longer necessarily the norm.

Norman-Rockwell-Thanksgiving-thanksgiving-2927689-375-479.jpg

And that's OK! No matter how we observe Thanksgiving, I think it's a good time to reflect on what we are thankful for. In fact, that is one thing we do around the table at Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

We have gone out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving for the last few years, but I'm never really satisfied with the meal and of course, there are no left overs. This year I am cooking at home and we will have roast turkey breast with gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, quinoa with cranberries and almonds, corn off the cob and cheese cake for dessert.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't worry about a Thanksgiving menu because I always go up to a small waterfront community north of Seattle to be with friends. They always cook their turkey in a smoker/barbecue and tell the rest of us what to bring. There are usually 12 to 20 people at the table, and the house is always festive and fragrant.