Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's On Your Thanksgiving Menu?

[ Edited ]

I shudder at the thought of Thanksgiving.....too much work, too much food, too many people I'd rather not be with......and I'm not even hosting.....just never enjoyed this holiday.....sorry for being a "debbie downer."

Respected Contributor

We're actually going to be in Orlando for Thanksgiving.  I am beyond excited.  My daughter is turning 21 on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  As a surprise, we're going to be spending the week in Florida.   She has no idea that we're even doing this.  LOL

The hotel has a buffet - I already have our reservations made.    My dad is even coming with us.  I wouldn't have considered going out of town unless he was with us.

Trusted Contributor

I also make most of my things in advance. The ham and turkey are done Thanksgiving day of course. But I make the cranberry-apple mold days in advance, the yams prepped a couple of days in advance and ready to bake.

I prep all the veggies, stock and bread for the dressing and have it ready to go on TG day. I even make gravy ahead of time. It is one of the best gravies I have ever had. I lost the original recipe but as manage to make it every year. 

The green beans are all cleaned and ready to go ahead and the pies will already be done and waiting to bake. The ham glaze can be made way in advance so that’s easy too. 

I set my table days in advance and get out all the serving dishes and serving utensils I plan to use and set them up on the buffet.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59  No apologies necessary for not enjoying Thanksgiving. This is your reality. I totally get it. Make your holidays your own. I got weary of making food no one wanted to eat or take home so now I make their favorites -- and they love taking the food home. Thanksgiving has become one of my favorite holidays since I changed 'the game.' We used to run from my mother-in-law's home to my sis' home -- because they love entertaining, both alphas and we were expected to be there. My MIL stood and ate while she waited on everyone. It was her magnificent martyr moment. She's in her 80s now and we take two traditional dinners to her home. One they eat with my husband (while I make Thanksgiving dinner at home) and the other they can have for their next meal. My sis and I have growing families. The last gathering we had was so crowded. ALSO - she laughed in my face when I suggested we share all what we're thankful for that year. She's a bit jaded about stuff like that. Next year I suggested our families were getting too big for one gathering. Wish I had learned a couple of decades ago to make holidays my own. . . . So - no apologies. Enjoy your holiday, however you choose to spend it.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

Just me and my  Dachshund fur babies and two flying squirrels.  Roasting a small turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, homemade cranberry sauce, gravy and mincemeat pie with whipped cream.  I am a widow and will have goodies left over for later.  I will make cookies/goodies to deliver around the neighborhood for those who aren't able to get out  and deliver the day before Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman@You are a very kind and thoughtful person.I wish you were my neighbor and we could have dinner together.I make the turkey and all of the trimmings but there is only my DH and I to enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I'll cook our meal the following week as we will be out of town for Thanksgiving.  Turkey, potatoes, corn, cranberries and pie.  Not a big spread by any means, but there will be enough leftovers for a few meals.

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

Just me and my  Dachshund fur babies and two flying squirrels.  Roasting a small turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, homemade cranberry sauce, gravy and mincemeat pie with whipped cream.  I am a widow and will have goodies left over for later.  I will make cookies/goodies to deliver around the neighborhood for those who aren't able to get out  and deliver the day before Thanksgiving. 

That is so nice of you @Fiero Woman. You make Thanksgiving a wonderful day 😊

Super Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We don't have a big family, but we all love HOMEMADE turkey!  DH is my prep cook.  He does all of the chopping and green bean stringing.  I do a 25 lb. turkey because they all want leftovers for at least four days.

Roast Turkey

Stuffing

Rice

Gravy

Cranberry Sauce

Fresh Green Beans

Steamed buttered carrots with fresh parsley

Vegetable Casserole   (Fresh vegies, grated parmesian, buttered bread crumbs, a little chicken broth for steaming.)

Fresh Fruit Salad

Yeast Rolls, Butter

Pumpkin Pie, Homemade Whipped Cream Kahlua Drizzle

(*I never serve over two starches.  This is one of the few occasions that gets bread.).

——- 

GASP 😈 Where are the mashed potatoes and gravy😉

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@nana59  No apologies necessary for not enjoying Thanksgiving. This is your reality. I totally get it. Make your holidays your own. I got weary of making food no one wanted to eat or take home so now I make their favorites -- and they love taking the food home. Thanksgiving has become one of my favorite holidays since I changed 'the game.' We used to run from my mother-in-law's home to my sis' home -- because they love entertaining, both alphas and we were expected to be there. My MIL stood and ate while she waited on everyone. It was her magnificent martyr moment. She's in her 80s now and we take two traditional dinners to her home. One they eat with my husband (while I make Thanksgiving dinner at home) and the other they can have for their next meal. My sis and I have growing families. The last gathering we had was so crowded. ALSO - she laughed in my face when I suggested we share all what we're thankful for that year. She's a bit jaded about stuff like that. Next year I suggested our families were getting too big for one gathering. Wish I had learned a couple of decades ago to make holidays my own. . . . So - no apologies. Enjoy your holiday, however you choose to spend it.   

thank you for understanding.....