Respected Contributor

Re: What's On Your Thanksgiving Menu?

@Noel7 wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@BirdieGal

Would you mind posting your gravy recipe?

I always use the drippings from the turkey, mostly for the flavor.  It's a pain, waiting for it to cool, draining the fat and it's the last thing I do. Would love to be able to make it ahead of time!

@Starpolisherand @BirdieGal

I came across a recipe for make ahead gravy a few days ago and kept it to try later.

If you are interested, it's here:

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/4915-make-ahead-turkey-gravy?sqn=HZsU5bGmiURgYxQhTpPxjw%3D%3D%0...

Thank you @Noel7 ! It's very much appreciated. Now I have three options to try! Yours, @BirdieGal and @NicksmomESQ ! Thank you everyone!🙌

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@MickD wrote:

Greek - dolmades with egg lemon sauce, salad, bread and saganaki (flaming cheese).....maybe roasted new potatoes.  It's just the 3 of us, so no stress.  Well, just me cussing at my rolled grape leaves!

OH that sounds wonderful.  I love Greek food especially Saganaki.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I will make desserts-always a pumpkin pie.  The other desserts I try to do something different every year so not sure just yet.  I also bring homemade cranberry sauce (relish) since most everyone has liked it better than the squishy canned jellied stuff.

DS and DDIL host Thanksgiving for many, many years now except for when DS was in the service. Traditional turkey dinner; bread stuffing, mashed tates, sweet potato casserole, green beans almondine, rolls, and any new side DDIL might try.  Pretty standard dinner.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I’ve been doing the same thing for more than three decades. We have a fresh turkey, stuffing,gravy,mashed potatoes, butternut squash,peas,pearl onions-fresh,cranberry sauce with whole cranberries. My husband likes the jellied cranberries so we have both. Also,turnip. I make apple pie and pumpkin pie. All of the food is fresh with the exception of the peas which are frozen. 

My husband preps and cooks the veggies the night before because it’s a time saver. He does the cleanup. 

Honored Contributor

I will probably spend it alone and cook either turkey or chicken with brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes.  Perhaps a small salad too.  It is so different since my parents are gone.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We usually have chicken instead of turkey as my family doesn't like turkey or dressing. This year we are having duck instead with garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn on the cob, green bean casserole, cranberry-orange relish, dinner rolls, and both pumpkin and pecan pies...with whipped cream, of course.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a working oven, so that limits the menu considerably.  

Turkey Hot Pocket?

If you guys are planning on coming over, just let me know ahead of time so I'll know how many to buy. Smiley Very Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every year I decide to make Alton Brown's "Coc au Vin" recipe and every year I cave and buy a turkey.  With his extremely rich chicken dish, a green salad and a piece of crusty bread is the way to go, which isn't very "Thanksgiving-y."

If I get as tiny a turkey as I can find, I can serve the smaller new sweet potatoes, peas, stuffing, and gravy.  I have a killer pumpkin pie recipe from long ago, but usually just pick one up at Publix.  The pastry is no good, but the custard is delicious.

It'll be one or the other.  I may have one or two guests this year--not sure.

Respected Contributor

I'm making a classic and traditional dinner with turkey, ham and all the trimmings....about three desserts, too. Can't wait. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I don't have a working oven, so that limits the menu considerably.  

Turkey Hot Pocket?

If you guys are planning on coming over, just let me know ahead of time so I'll know how many to buy. Smiley Very Happy

@mistriTsquirrel

I am no expert on this, mtc is... But people cook meat in an Air Fryer often. A slow cooler is another way, perhaps a turkey breast if you are interested. 

I just checked, you can google a lot of turkey breast slow cooker recipes, if you are interested.