Honored Contributor

Re: What's On Your Thanksgiving Menu?

@Starpolisher wrote:

@BirdieGal

Would you mind posting your gravy recipe?

I always use the drippings from the turkey, mostly for the flavor.  It's a pain, waiting for it to cool, draining the fat and it's the last thing I do. Would love to be able to make it ahead of time!

@Starpolisherand @BirdieGal

I came across a recipe for make ahead gravy a few days ago and kept it to try later.

If you are interested, it's here:

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/4915-make-ahead-turkey-gravy?sqn=HZsU5bGmiURgYxQhTpPxjw%3D%3D%0...

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what is happening.  We will definitely be someplace else, possibly even 2 places.   We may have dinner at one house and dessert at another.

Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday meal.  I am not a turkey fan at all.  I pretty much eat a sald, some stuffing and mashed potatoes.  But that's okay.  I love being around family. 

Regular Contributor

Use plain bread crumbs and season with salt,pepper,garlic powder,oregano,parsley and grating cheese. Mix all together in a bowl( taste for flavor; i add salt little at a time since cheese might be salty.) Then I gently separate leaves n stuff using a small spoon.When finished place in pot large enough to hold stuffed artichokes and add water half way to cover and drizzle olive oil. I also put a tab of butter on top of each one..Cover and cook on medium to like until outer leaf is tender. Where I live they sell small ones packaged together(usually 6 to 8).I find these t to bed the best;tender and cook nicely.If to large they can be tough.Hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving. We have an Italian Thanksgiving and a little extra

Honored Contributor

Ask my daughter, lol,  we are flying in.  I ordered some desserts.  A tooties apple pie, and sweet lady janes carrot cake.  I ordered some sides to be sent to her from qcv, st clair sweet pot cassarole and martha stewart side.  But she cooks everything.  I do give her money to buy organic groceries.  It is the biggest joy to sit back and have her cook.  She loves it, and i love it

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greek - dolmades with egg lemon sauce, salad, bread and saganaki (flaming cheese).....maybe roasted new potatoes.  It's just the 3 of us, so no stress.  Well, just me cussing at my rolled grape leaves!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher

I know that is a pain, which is why when I found this recipe I started making it. Unfortunately I had it stored online on a recipe site with a link and the link no longer works. I was so upset. I can no longer find the exact measurements but it still seems to come out the same. It is easy and very good. Just keep in mind to adjust things to your liking. 

I no longer store any recipes on a site for this reason.

1 large carrot, finely diced

2 stalks celery, finely diced

1/2 medium onion, minced

(you can also use a food processor for this, just get it into small pieces, not puréed)

1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup flour 

2 cups chicken or turkey broth or stock

2 cups beef broth or stock

5 whole peppercorns

1 bay leaf

1 spring of fresh thyme

salt and pepper to taste at the end.

melt butter in a medium saucepan. 

Add diced vegetables and cook until softened but not browned.

Add flour and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.

Add both types of stock and peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme sprig.

Stir and bring to boil, reduce to LOW simmer. 

Cook for about 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently.

Using a small strainer, strain entire pot into another pot or storage bowl. 

Discard solids.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This will store in fridge for at least a week. 

Reheat on stove. If needed thin with more stock.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@BirdieGal

I always use the drippings from the turkey, mostly for the flavor.  It's a pain, waiting for it to cool, draining the fat and it's the last thing I do. Would love to be able to make it ahead of time!

@Starpolisher  A way to remove fat instead of cooling, is to place a dry paper towel on top.   The towel immediately soaks up the fat as I hang onto an end, so I lift, toss, and proceed until most of the fat is removed, like to leave a little.

Esteemed Contributor

Spending Thanksgiving with good friends as we always do. They insist on cooking an old fashion dinner with all the trimmings from scratch.They even make dessert.They refuse any help.

As usual I will bring sparkling cider,a couple of bottles of wine,a case of beer, & a fruit platter. 🍷 🍺 🍇🍓🍎

I always help with the cleanup. They usually host about 15 people.We have tons of fun, & laugh a lot. The kids play, the guys watch football 🏈 & the women keep everything on track moving between the kids & the men!!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It has nothing to do with religion or presents 🎁. It’s just about family, friends, football 🏈 & fun!!

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@BirdieGal

@Starpolisher  A way to remove fat instead of cooling, is to place a dry paper towel on top.   The towel immediately soaks up the fat as I hang onto an end, so I lift, toss, and proceed until most of the fat is removed, like to leave a little.

@mousiegirl

Thanks so much for the tip! I'll have to try it.😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

@Starpolisher

I know that is a pain, which is why when I found this recipe I started making it. Unfortunately I had it stored online on a recipe site with a link and the link no longer works. I was so upset. I can no longer find the exact measurements but it still seems to come out the same. It is easy and very good. Just keep in mind to adjust things to your liking. 

I no longer store any recipes on a site for this reason.

1 large carrot, finely diced

2 stalks celery, finely diced

1/2 medium onion, minced

(you can also use a food processor for this, just get it into small pieces, not puréed)

1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup flour 

2 cups chicken or turkey broth or stock

2 cups beef broth or stock

5 whole peppercorns

1 bay leaf

1 spring of fresh thyme

salt and pepper to taste at the end.

melt butter in a medium saucepan. 

Add diced vegetables and cook until softened but not browned.

Add flour and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.

Add both types of stock and peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme sprig.

Stir and bring to boil, reduce to LOW simmer. 

Cook for about 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently.

Using a small strainer, strain entire pot into another pot or storage bowl. 

Discard solids.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This will store in fridge for at least a week. 

Reheat on stove. If needed thin with more stock.

@BirdieGal

Thank you! May try this Thanksgiving!😉

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran