Respected Contributor

Re: What's A Smell That Evokes a Memory

@NewNickname1x1000 My mom wore Sand & Sable when she worked at Zenith in Chicago or Youth Dew back in the 60's and early 70's.  At some point, I can remember she wore Windsong, and finally Tova's Body, Mind and Spirit in the 80's.  As a matter of fact, I still have an unused bottle of Tova she "saved."  I can spritz a little in the air and it is like she has enveloped me in a hug!

Respected Contributor

Just before Easter, I walked into Kroger....the floral department is right there as soon as you walk in.  All I could smell were the hyacinths.  Reminded me of my Grandma.  When I was young, we'd always stop and buy Easter flowers for my grandmothers.  An Easter lilly for my Dad's Mom and a hyancinth for my Mom's Mom.  My grandmother would plant them all around her front porch.  Bloom every year.  Just the most perfect smell.

Esteemed Contributor

Pancakes. Every other Sunday dad made pancakes and on opposite Sundays mom made biscuits and gravy. Dad was so delightful with his pancakes. He'd watched them and turned them at just the right time. 

Bad smell? Resurfacing roads. As a kid, we moved into a new suburb. New communities popped up over five years. When car windows were down, I'd smell the tar or whatever and tried to keep from puking. Still has that affect on me - except now I drive and can control the windows!   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Irish1210 wrote:

@Sooner     Ohhhh I couldn't agree with you more: )

The smell of horses and saddle leather ~ glorious Heart

Alfalfa breath! Does it for me! After you give a treat pellet. crunch crunch chomp chomp chompl

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Wet wool (mittens and scarf after playing outside). Baking sugar cookies at Christmas. Pine needles.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Grease and oil, I used to work in a car assembly plant.  Bad in that it was stinky and hard to get out of my clothing.  Good in that it was a decent paying position with good benefits and a generous pension plan. 

That metal shop smell. A specific smell of metal and, I think, grease. Reminds me of my Grandpa's machine shop he had in his basement. He could make or fix anything.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Coppertone.  Growing up in Houston, Mama & Daddy took us to Galveston often in the summertime & Mama would lather me up in Coppertone.  Good times...great memories!  And I still came home red as a little lobster!

Bain du Soliel Orange for me! lol I thought I was so fancy.

Honored Contributor

Vanilla, not the baking kind, but pure vanilla. My Grandmother used to burn Vanilla in a pan on low mixed with something else, but she would burn it and her whole house smelled so good when you walked in!!!!It smelled like someone was baking, but not the sickly, sweet smell of Vanilla.

This was pure scent! Once Vanilla candles came out, she would burn those but she was very picky about the vanilla scent....So whenever I smell Vanilla, I think about her.......

Trusted Contributor

Lilacs

Lily of the Valley

Both these scents bring me back to our garden when I was a child.

lilacs lilys.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Faberge Aphrodisia- Mom's favorite love it 

Faberge Aphrodisia 2 oz Perfume w/Box 100% Full & Free ...