Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's A Smell That Evokes a Memory

@on the bay wrote:

@Xivambala,

That is pretty amazing that you love the smell of gasoline! I've never heard that before.

That is one smell that I cannot stand and can always smell it before anyone else does.

I guess we both would be good gas leak alert monitors lol!

I also cannot stand bus fumes.

I do though love the smell of Jergins original cherry almond lotion.😊

@on the bay  and @Xivambala  When my husband was being treated for a bone marrow cancer, the doctor told us about a woman patient she had with the same type cancer.  This  woman had a "thing" for smelling gasoline and would sniff it several times a day, everyday.  She ended up with cancer and sadly, she didn't make it.  It really is unsafe to breathe in gasoline.  It contains benzene.  Moth balls is another toxic item that shouldn't be smelled often.  My husband was in the Air Force and worked on jet engines.  He was around the jet engine fuel and perhaps this is why he got cancer.  He fought it for 10 years, had a bone marrow transplant and today is completely cured.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Johnson's floor wax. Every year just before Christmas when I was a kid my mom would wax and buff our hardwood floors. Even now that I'm pushing 70, if I smell floor wax it takes me back to those days.

Respected Contributor

My DH and oldest daughter love smoking cigars together.  The smell reminds me of when I was young and my dad used to take me to the horse racing track. 

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

My mom only wore her Chanel #5 on Sunday.

When I smell it, I'm back in that hard pew, wiggling & getting a gentle whack.

Now that she's  passed, I sometimes wear it myself

It's a good memory

@software   I do the same, it gives me peace.

Trusted Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

Johnson and Johnson Baby Magic lotion.  My mother used it as her hand lotion everyday.  I love that smell and it is a great memory of her. 

I love it too! memories when my sons were babies Smiley Happy  I still buy it today and it makes a great shaving cream

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 @software

Love that smell. One of my high school sweethearts wore it and I got hooked on it's smell.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

When I sauté garlic it reminds me of my grandmothers cooking. She started all her meals that way.

Jergens lotion is another trigger for Grandma.

The smell of home fries sizzling reminds me of my father.  I love to get that smell going on a Sunday morning!

Certain cleaning fluids remind me of returning to school in September; getting that sick to your stomach feeling. As I am employed in the school system, I still get that feeling when I return to work from vacation. 

Cloves remind me of being in the dentist chair when I was a kid. That dentist never used novacain on us, but the entire office smelled of clove oil. When other kids talked about the dentist giving you a needle before drilling and that you didn't feel anything, I was puzzled and clueless why this dentist didn't use any. I asked him once and his answer was we didn't need that because he used a high power drill. 🤨 Sadistic SOB. Like Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors, 😝  apparently he got his jollies seeing people in pain.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Two things:  Pipe smoking - reminds me of my dad..he smoked half/half and  the smell of coffee when at church.  It reminds me of dinners in the basement of our church when I was a kid.

My dad was also a half/half pipe smoker Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@Xivambala,

That is pretty amazing that you love the smell of gasoline! I've never heard that before.

That is one smell that I cannot stand and can always smell it before anyone else does.

I guess we both would be good gas leak alert monitors lol!

I also cannot stand bus fumes.

I do though love the smell of Jergins original cherry almond lotion.😊

@on the bay  and @Xivambala  When my husband was being treated for a bone marrow cancer, the doctor told us about a woman patient she had with the same type cancer.  This  woman had a "thing" for smelling gasoline and would sniff it several times a day, everyday.  She ended up with cancer and sadly, she didn't make it.  It really is unsafe to breathe in gasoline.  It contains benzene.  Moth balls is another toxic item that shouldn't be smelled often.  My husband was in the Air Force and worked on jet engines.  He was around the jet engine fuel and perhaps this is why he got cancer.  He fought it for 10 years, had a bone marrow transplant and today is completely cured.  

@tends2dogs 

Oh My...I was not sniffing gasoline! When I was at the station, there was always a very strong smell by the gas pumps that I liked, but I certainly did not spend all my time sitting with the pumps. It's interesting that I don't notice that in today's service stations.

Respected Contributor

Candid from Avon.  My 1st boyfried gave it to me.  My granny thought it was my favorite and continued to give it to me for my birthday every year.  Brings back fond memories of the "1st love" and the everlasting love of my dear grandmother.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!