Honored Contributor

Re: What's A Smell That Evokes a Memory

Honeysuckle, it use to grow up the side of our porch on the house we grew up in, at least for most of my years.

Trusted Contributor

Mennon baby lotion

Merle Norman pink mask

Dell bar soap

Lilacs

Jergens lotion

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several, all reminding me of my youth.

The smell of turkey roasting in the oven.

Hollyberry and bayberry scents.  My mother always had those candles at Christmas.

Pine.  The real Christmas trees we had.

Jean Nate.  My mother always splashed some on during hot summer days.  

Shalimar...my Mother's favorite perfume.  

White Shoulders perfume.  The favorite scent of my neighbor where I spent many summer days with my best friend, her daughter.  

Horses, leather saddles.  My grandfather had thoroughbreds and Belgian drafts.  

The smell of the Atlantic ocean along New Jersey and Maryland.  

Trusted Contributor

Johnson and Johnson Baby Magic lotion.  My mother used it as her hand lotion everyday.  I love that smell and it is a great memory of her. 

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala,

That is pretty amazing that you love the smell of gasoline! I've never heard that before.

That is one smell that I cannot stand and can always smell it before anyone else does.

I guess we both would be good gas leak alert monitors lol!

I also cannot stand bus fumes.

I do though love the smell of Jergins original cherry almond lotion.😊

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Milorganite fertilizer, still available. My dad always used it on his landscaping. 
Zest soap.  Grandparents used. 
Bonnie Bell 10-0-6 skin astringent. I used it for probably 25 years. 
English Leather cologne. Used by my long time Marine boyfriend who did not become my hubby 😄

White Shoulders.

PineSol. My dear MIL, the consummate homemaker. 
scent of grass and trees coming to life in spring back in home state of Ohio. No spring scents down here in FL, just sand sand sand. 

Respected Contributor

What a fun thread!

I fondly remember the smell of confectioners sugar  when my mother was making the frosting for our birthday cakes.

The scent of cigar and tobacco smoke In the livingroom of my Grandmothers home when all her boys, my Dad and Uncles, were together on Sundays holding Lively "debates" on the topics of the day. While waiting for Sunday dinner.

and also the smell of Cow Manure.  Being an urban girl  It's something we only smelled when we were close to arriving at the relatives home in Vermont for a week during the summer.  It meant COWS!  Being there during Fair Days was the ablsoute BEST for a city kid!

Honored Contributor

Two things:  Pipe smoking - reminds me of my dad..he smoked half/half and  the smell of coffee when at church.  It reminds me of dinners in the basement of our church when I was a kid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cooking homemade spaghetti sauce it makes me think of my mom and family Sunday dinners

And nothing says Christmas more than the scent of real pine trees and wreaths...when grocery and home stores start selling them 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut   I remember that smell, too, @hckynut .  My husband raced karts and stock cars.  He raced once in the Pontiac Silverdome.  That place was a blue haze ..... good times......Woman Wink.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!