Honored Contributor

Re: What's A Smell That Evokes a Memory

the OG polo eau de toilette......i just love that smell and it can bring back memories from 40 years ago so vividly!

polo mens scent.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cashmere bouquet dusting powder my great aunt used...it was always sitting on her vanity with a big powder puff. Old Spice my uncle wore...I could smell it when I went by his room at my grandmother’s house.
Pine Sol- my grandmother was a clean freak...her house wreaked of it.
Youth Dew.....evokes memories of a civics teacher I had...she must have bathed in it and you could always tell when she was going to walk past your desk aisle without even looking up...that dang perfume arrived before she did.
Breck shampoo...shampooing my hair in the summer after going to the swimming pool when I was in high school....nothing else smelled like it; very fresh. I had long hair and loved using Breck on it. 
Ten-O-six lotion....reminds me of high school years. They say smells evoke more memories than pictures or sounds...,..I do agree!

Ambush cologne stick. Would put it in the fridge during the summer and use it when it was cold. Felt great putting it on.

Honored Contributor

Orange blossoms.  I was born in Pasadena, CA and there were many orange groves then.  

I also remember how good it smelled when the Rose Parade was coming down the street on New Years Day.  They used to use whole flowers.

Contributor

Play-doh!  I love the smell of play-doh.  I takes me back to when I was in kindergarten and also when my daughter was small.

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

@NewNickname1x1000 

Nitromethane.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

philosophy made a summer scent a couple of years ago that reminds me of coppertone
Valued Contributor

There are 2 smells from childhood centered around my grandparents.

First is Jergens Original Scent Cherry Almond lotion. I first encountered this in my grandparents house 60+ years ago and it brings back memories of the most wonderful time when I lived with them. I love the smell and use the lotion to this day.

Second is the smell of gasoline. My grandfather owned a large gas/service station in Chicago. Their children were all grown and I was little. I spent a lot of time there as there was plenty to keep me entertained. I used to sit in the big office chair and pretend to be in charge! I love love loved the strong smell of the gasoline. To this day, when I smell gasoline, I go right back there. It didn't hurt that he did all the maintenance on Maurice Lenell's trucks there either!

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Havent thought of Sea Breeze for many years,  what a nice reminder.

Respected Contributor

I just remembered my mom would splash with Jean Nate, very fresh smelling. My older sister has carried on the tradition.

Respected Contributor

The smell of the ocean. My Mom would get my brother and I up early and we would take the train to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn on hot summer days.

She always told my brother, before we left home, "Don't forget the chenille". That was the  old pink, bed spread we used to put on the sand to sit on. We were always home by noon, before the crowds would come.