Valued Contributor

Re: What... "makes you feel listened to?"

A response..Even if it's years later!..LOL

I know my kids listened to me..if they tell me something I said to them in the years I never thought they paid attention!

Respected Contributor

I feel "listened to" when the dog finally gets out of my spot in bed and jumps down.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Possibly...if the person with whom I am speaking...QUITS LOOKING AT THEIR PHONE

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

A response.

LOL...that sums it up perfectly.  

My husband is hard of hearing despite his hearing aids.  I am usually just talking to the dogSmiley Happy

I am in the same boat as you!! ha.

Respected Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

A response..Even if it's years later!..LOL

I know my kids listened to me..if they tell me something I said to them in the years I never thought they paid attention!

@Jo1313  

Well, they say: 

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Seems, you've done a really GREAT JOB at that!! @Jo1313   Congrats!

Honored Contributor

Well - the most basc thing -- eye contact!  If someone is looking all over the place, they are not really listening or focusing on what you are saying.  Also, if they keep interrupting and talking about things totally unrelated to what you are saying, or things related to themselves, you are not being heard and they are not listening to you!  Also, if you are talking to someone and you have serious things to say or have heartfelt issues and someone just sits there and doesn't comment back or says --- well, that's too bad -- and then immediately changes the subject ---- then I do not feel listened to!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

When my husband does a chore WITHOUT BEING ASKED TO.  But, this is a rare occurrence over 41 some years together😆

Honored Contributor

It's nice, but honestly I don't expect it from everyone and I don't worry a lot about it.  

Esteemed Contributor

That they are awake. My husband was admitted to our local hospital as an emergency & our doctor did not have privileges there. The man went from a healthy active guy to one who had hallucinations, fever & eventual kidney shut down in a semi coma state.

Fast forward, he thankfully, fully recovered & we were following up with our own doctor & I was providing the pertinent medical information as my husband was out of it most of the time; I was concise & not rambling as I was a nurses. He was taking notes with his head down, the pen fell & he was sleeping!

In all fairness, it was a heat wave & he uses air conditioning sparingly but still……
Valued Contributor

When someone doesn't interupt and say "you already said that"