Respected Contributor

Re: What "Makes" You Want to Buy Something?

I'd like to say "need" is what makes me purchase an item.  However, I do not need most of what I have.  Generally, if I like something and think I'll use it, I'll open my wallet.   I do not care how many of a particular product have been sold, that info is completely irrelevant.  There must be studies that claim stating the number of sales is an incentive for more sales, but it doesn't matter to me. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  When a host starts using the 'they're going fast'  as a tactic it actually has the opposite affect.  I back away - I don't like pushy.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I used to impulse buy.  I rarely do that these days.  I mostly but online. I'll watch here and there to see how things look on the models.

Esteemed Contributor

Who cares how many buy something. You either like it or not and the price.

Respected Contributor

Something new, different that I can't find elsewhere or easily for a reasonable price.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Whatever the hosts say means nothing to me. If the item "speaks to me", I usually buy.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I only buy if it's my taste.  How many other people have bought means nothing.  In fact, it may make me rethink my purchase and not buy.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I have to really like the item first, then I check the price, google to see what others are offering it for and how much the shipping is, sometimes the shipping is a deal breaker for me. 

Honored Contributor

When I see (when I watch) all the wonderful things I can do or make, or whatever, that will be just wonderful for me.  Kitchen things were my weakness.  Then I moved onto how many parts are there and what's cleanup like?  

I have great storage now in the basement.  

Honored Contributor

So, looking over the responses it seems like most of us feel the same way (i.e. we buy what we want to buy not how many have been sold or what the hosts say to me).

But then when I think about it QVC must have had companies do testing on how to sell items.  A company as big as their's and in as many countries, must have invested a lot of time and money testing various sales tactics.

So, there must be a lot of people out in TV land who are persuaded to buy, buy, buy based on 'we've already sold 2 zillion of these pencils' and/or putting these models in clothes so tight if an ant got trapped between the skin and the material there'd be a bulge on the TV screen!

Why else would they say it or do it?  That's what I can't figure out!  We must be in the minority?  (I put a question mark after the last sentence because I just don't understand 'it'!