Honored Contributor

Re: What "Makes" You Want to Buy Something?

Nope, I don't care one bit about how much of something they sold.  That doesn't entice me to buy.  However, when I see something that I want and I find myself waffling; I am more likely to buy it if I see that my size is running out.  

Honored Contributor

I buy things because I either need or really really like them.  I admit I have impulsively purchased things because I love them...they were "me."  It's so difficult for me to find things that fit that bill.  Didn't regret it. 

But, the retailer is important, too.  I look for those with a past reputation of offering high quality and excellent customer service.  Sometimes that only comes from experience...being burned or being a happy customer.  

Yes, QVC uses sales tactics...This color or size is limited.  Size small is going quickly.  Size such and such is sold out.  Look at all the grey sold outs on the bottom of the screen.  Only order of the year.  This won't be back for one year...if at all.  We don't have much left in inventory.  Black is going fast, but then it always does.  Black is a must have.  We started with 3,000 and only have 600 left, 120 in black, 200 in navy..... Oh, this is so beautiful, you should buy one in every color.  And so on.  Lol!

But, it depends.  Sometimes, they are telling the truth.  Sometimes, on the website, after the presentation, no, it's not sold out and available in your size and color.  

I decided I don't want anything at all where the retailer is trying to manipulate me to buy by using sales tactics.  There was one thing from a new designer never on QVC before, I really wanted, did not need, around Christmas, but it sold out in my size when it was posted in New Arrivals. Never presented on TV.  No video. QVC must have only ordered 5! Found it elsewhere for $200 less on sale. Do not regret that purchase. 

Honored Contributor

The more of something there is, sold or not, the less appealing it is to me. I do like watching that availability guide. Somehow, I get interested in what colors and sizes are selling.

Respected Contributor

I buy something when I see something that I like.  I'm not swayed by whether anyone else likes it or not.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am so not the person to ask! I can be very impulsive, I'll watch QVC and see something and think I need it ( I do sometimes sit on my hands and wait for the feeling to pass)! Then there are times I hem and haw about a purchase, sometimes I miss out or when I do buy I can have buyer's remorse. I'm just very indecisive.

Trusted Contributor

Can I see myself using or wearing the item over and over again?

Do I have the space to store the item?

Is it a good deal, including shipping and taxes?

Do I really need this?

Honored Contributor

If I like it when I first see it and the price is reasonable I will purchase. I may watch the whole presentation but pretty much I have made up my mind to purchase.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think this works on fashion other than maybe jeans, but I think if one is borderline, wondering whether something works, like an appliance, the fact that many have sold can tell me that is tried and true.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy what I need. I am not an impulse shopper so no sales pitch has an effect on me.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

On QVC the host is constantly telling how many of this or that has been sold.

I'm curious.....does that make you WANT to buy whatever is being sold?

Does it sway you even a little or not at all?

For the record.  It doesn't matter to me if they've sold zillions (is that a number) or 5.

I either want 'it' or don't want 'it'?

What say you?  Come on now...be honest here?  OK, fudge if you want, I'm curious because my guess is there's been a lot of research and the only reason QVC keeps saying how many they've sold is because it helps push a viewer into buying "it".

NO, and I don't believe the number the hosts "claim" to have been sold is true. It's a sales ploy.