Respected Contributor

Re: What "Makes" You Want to Buy Something?

Because I like it. I do not really care what they say about it - I either like something or I don’t.

If I have to think about it much, it means I don’t like it enough or want it enough to begin with - and I need to just move on to something else.

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

The fact that many have bought an item is somewhat interesting because it demonstrates popularity, but that's not enough for me.  I can think of lots of things that have been popular on Q that I never bought and still have no desire to purchase.

To "make" me want to buy, any or a combination of the following is needed:

materials, price, quality, comfort, color

I'd also want to feel comfortable making a return if needed.

To make my mom buy, all they have to do is get David Venable to say it's a must have. 😂 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of the stuff I buy from QVC is clothes.  I don't ever want to dress like anyone else.  So ... if they are sellng thousands of something ... that's definitely not for me!

Generally something has to be my style and my color.  I've been dressing myself long enough to know what's the best look for me.  I'm not going to ever "step outside the box."

Honored Contributor

I may buy something that I wasn’t specifically looking for, but it has nothing to do with amount sold. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

After purging and re-purging and more ... I'm not buying another thing!!!  Sadly, as I watch these things "I liked, just right for my want..." dumped into the Goodwill box!

Nothing on Q or any shopping channel appeals to me!  thank god!

I bought a new shelve for my lr ugh after putting it together - I hate it!!!  Oh well at least I didn't pay s/h for it to return!!!

What a host says certainly does not make me buy!  (Just my own stupidity or impulse! lol)

Respected Contributor

No, number sold alone does not influence me to purchase. It can speak to quality but other than that, I don’t really care if gazillions are sold. I’ll buy something because it would be useful or add versatility to my wardrobe, and occasionally just “because” (it’s a pretty piece of jewelry or a cute top). 

Honored Contributor

I do not care how many is sold,  sometimes depending on my mood ,i want it ,or think i would use it , but it all just depends.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

What makes me want to buy something?

Very little these days. 

Honored Contributor

I just looked over everyone's responses.  I don't think I saw one person who buys something because a host constantly tells how many have been sold.

Like some of you, I kind of find it a little irritating...don't know why it does, maybe it's just that it's being repeated so often...

But in the back of my mind I keep thinking (like someone said) it would be saying, "it's popular?"  Maybe that's why they keep repeating how many have been sold?

I could understand it if they were warning the viewers the amount offered was dwindling...I know that's sometimes true.  However, when that's the case they usually say (in addition to how many have been sold)..."only X amount left".

I think I'm over-thinking this.  I have too much time on my hands I guess.

As I've said, I often have QVC on at least one other TV in my house for background noise.

My late husband had Tinnitus (ringing in the ears).  He always wanted white noise or some kind of noise in the house to counter the ringing in his ears.  I guess that's where I got used to having some kind of noise in the house. 

Hence QVC and the way they constantly repeat the same items becomes very noticeable.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Don’t care how many are sold. I buy because it is something I like, or I think it will be useful. 

What about HSN? They like to tell us how many of an item are remaining. That doesn’t affect my buying either.