Honored Contributor

Re: What polite phrases to use to social distance yourself?

@TY wrote:

What polite phrases would you say to someone else -- like in a store -- if you feel that they are standing too close to you? I was paying for some cosmetics in a department store yesterday when some guy interrupted my transaction to ask the clerk if they sold hand sanitizer. I was not happy that this older guy was standing next to me out of the blue but I was at a loss for words as to what to say to him to get him to social distance himself from me.

@TY   The clerk couldn't have been far enough from you so I'm not understanding why this man violated social distance?

Not sure why being "older" was mentioned but I'm also wondering-the clerk could be a carrier and handled your transaction-including putting your cosmetics in a bag.

I think it is impossible to expect people to keep this social distance anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

As I was leaving the salon on Monday, my stylist reached out and hugged me....full frontal hug with her arms around me like I was her long lost sister...freaked me out! She has never done that before! Maybe my tip was too big...😬
Honored Contributor

It's nothing new... This has always been my practice... For me, whenever I feel anyone has impinged too closely on my personal space, I make an obvious point of moving away from them. Nothing more need be said. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It's nothing new... This has always been my practice... For me, whenever I feel anyone has impinged too closely on my personal space, I make an obvious point of moving away from them. Nothing more need be said. 

Some people are too dense to get it.

Respected Contributor

I was reading this to DH and we were laughing and he offered this lovely little solution.....spit in your hand and offer to shake with the fella! That's my DH....Mr. know it all.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I would have asked him his name and phone number so he could be contacted if the results of my carona virus test is positive.

@dex    283917.gif

Best Answer.png  Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Just start coughing.

Respected Contributor

Much better to ask here than go nutz in public...

I’m a single lady and often out alone or with young grands and have been in this same situation. If I’m in a store using a shopping cart I distance it between the next person in line. If someone interrupts the clerk helping me I quickly speak up (calmly) with “we’re almost done here” or “give us one more minute, please”.

If I’m in any other “wait” type of line feeling cramped I try extending my arm and look the person in the eyes and say I am very space conscious and would appreciate some distance.

Sometimes it just doesn’t make any difference to that rude person that doesn’t care about their fellow human being. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would say, we're standing rather close, I wouldn't want to possibly get you sick, I'm sure you wouldn't want to make me sick either. Okay ,who am I kidding, I wouldn't have the nerve to say anything, I would probably try to inch away from the person!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I would say, we're standing rather close, I wouldn't want to possibly get you sick, I'm sure you wouldn't want to make me sick either. Okay ,who am I kidding, I wouldn't have the nerve to say anything, I would probably try to inch away from the person!

@Jordan2,  wrong direction.  If it happens to you inch toward the person and make them back up.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.