Honored Contributor

What our state looked like last night

[ Edited ]

Jury is still our on the storm(s) damage last evening.  We might have had a Derecho.   We sure had something!  Lines and lines of straight line winds.  2nd one I've been through.  Don't want another.

Honored Contributor

Re: What our state looked like last night

One of those passed through our area, many, many years ago.  It's a shock, and I'd never heard of one of those.  I feel like, the winds we now get, are more powerful than they use to be.  But maybe I just notice now as an adult.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry. I hope things look up for you. What state are you in? I heard the NW part of our state had another derecho a week or so ago.

I'm nearing 70 and never heard of a derecho until the last 3 years. My state has had 3-4 in the last couple of years.

The first one did a ton of damage to my trees and we were without power for a week.  It took 3 of us over 27 hours to clean up, 81 person-hours.  The last one did minor damage to my trees and it took me a total of 19 hours to clean up the yard. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my! The weather sure is crazy. It's soooooo dry here. 

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

One of those passed through our area, many, many years ago.  It's a shock, and I'd never heard of one of those.  I feel like, the winds we now get, are more powerful than they use to be.  But maybe I just notice now as an adult.

The winds are stronger and storms are more extreme. Temperature swings from highs to lows are dramatic. That temperature change is what causes wind. The bigger the change; the stronger the wind.

Honored Contributor

@songbird   Is that your house?  I'm sorry for all the damage.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are in SE MD. Around 10:30 last night all h**l broke loose. Really weird lightening pattern and the winds were unreal. We lost two trees in our back yard and my patio furniture was all over the back yard.  Power was out for about 5 hours. We just got internet back here at work about an hour ago. I will watch news this evening to see what kind of storm that was. Hubs was back home from work this morning after two hours due to no power.  Had no idea we were getting a storm like that.

Edited to add we also had really heavy rain.

Respected Contributor

How frightening.  Hope all are safe.  

Honored Contributor

@songbird You have my sympathies.  We had that a few nights ago in a very very localized area in central Oklahoma from a downburst.  It was really bad in a very small area.

Weather can be really scary sometimes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes it was a bad storm. Hail and everything. Our power just came back on after 17 hours.

ETA I just read the National Weather Service confirmed the storm damage was caused by a microburst with 80 mph winds.