Honored Contributor

Re: What makes you nuts about Facebook?

@chickenbutt wrote:

For me what seemed kind of nutty, during the time I had a Facebook account and before I finally deactivated it, was that   I really was no more interested in what anybody else was doing every minute of the day than I figured anybody else could possibly be interested in what I was doing every minute of the day.

I guess I just found it silly - for me, anyway.    I guess I probably don't have the need that a lot of others have to be CONSTANTLY connected to the world and everybody I know.  In fact, quite the contrary in my case.  Maybe it's just another manifestation of my horrid childhood - I don't know.  But I'm ok when I'm not connected to anybody for hours or days.

Of course I don't begrudge others who enjoy it.  I'm not like that - to say that I don't care for something so it shouldn't exist.  But it just wasn't for me.

This sounds so much like me!

I found that so many people from my past that I was excited about finding and reconnecting with turned out to be people I do not care to be "friends" with anymore. And it made me realize how truly narcissistic the world is, lol. It was a very eye opening experience, and not in a good way.

Trusted Contributor

I only use FB for keeping up with stores, restaurants, travel sites, my fav artists and certain news sites, but it drives me nuts that liking/following isn't enough to get the latest from them in my feed.  I need to like and reply for the algorithm to kick in, and that's sheer stupidity.  I liked it so I'd like to see their posts.

i dumped the friends years ago, but it was lovely to find two of my exes recently.  My ex fiancé has reached an important level in his country's government.  Cool.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I enjoy FB for what it is for me and the way I use it - to keep up with non-local family and friends, and to get information anout things I enjoy/am interested in.

The only thing that makes me crazy is FZb's insistence on reverting to "most Important" posts instead of my preferred "most recent" posts. They're changing it up more often now, and it annoys me.

I fixed that by putting everyone on an interest list instead, but the wacky algorithms FB likes to create will still prevent many posts from getting through.  If something is vital, I go directly to the page.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Valued Contributor

I have a whooping 7 friends, I use it to keep in touch with my sister in law and her family , dropped the "friends" list long ago...so many would become offended if I didn't comment or like every post they posted...WHAT!!!! I HAVE to comment on what you had forunch?  I also moved around so much as a child (dad worked for V.A.) that I hardly remember kids I went to grade school/Jr high with and those I found from high school drifted away because we are not the same people any longer.  I prefer to have friends in the real world, people I can see and "lunch" with.

Honored Contributor

What makes me really sad is a situation where I don"t want to stop getting ALL posts from someone, but 95% of what they post is just passing on stuff they like, AND they send at least 20 posts a day like that. You have no choice but to stop seeing their posts altogether. FB supposedly gives you the "see fewer posts from ..." option, but in reality that's completely non-functional. It's all or nothing. And sometimes I just can't put up with 25 posts a day from one person (jokes, politics, photos) maybe 2-3 of which I mildly appreciate. I try hard not to share more than maybe 5 things in a day.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I feel you on thst, my MIL (I do love her) is disabled and is on FB ALL DAY bless her soul, sends out the same jkkes, amber alerts from yrs ago (doesn't check to see if they are still active) and every "true" (yeah right) thing she reads on the internet😊 and the Internet IS ALWAYS RIGHT😕  sometimes I just want to yell STOP, THINK ABOUT THJNGS!! BUT, she really has no other interests, it keeps her connected..

Honored Contributor

@stazgirl wrote:

I have a whooping 7 friends, I use it to keep in touch with my sister in law and her family , dropped the "friends" list long ago...so many would become offended if I didn't comment or like every post they posted...WHAT!!!! I HAVE to comment on what you had forunch?  I also moved around so much as a child (dad worked for V.A.) that I hardly remember kids I went to grade school/Jr high with and those I found from high school drifted away because we are not the same people any longer.  I prefer to have friends in the real world, people I can see and "lunch" with.

Yep, yet another one of my biggest pet peeves. Some would get downright angry and rage on everyone for not commenting or at least "liking" their post, picture, etc. It was really scary how much some need to feel validated on every thought, feeling, etc they had. And I am talking about people my age 30's and older. One of the worst was a man that was in his late 40's.

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stazgirl wrote:

Yep, yet another one of my biggest pet peeves. Some would get downright angry and rage on everyone for not commenting or at least "liking" their post, picture, etc. It was really scary how much some need to feel validated on every thought, feeling, etc they had. And I am talking about people my age 30's and older. One of the worst was a man that was in his late 40's.

Hey, I am in my 50's and people my age do it...I have a busy life, half the time I don't remember what I had for lunch, let alone be worried about remembering to "like" what you had and you can only watch so many silly mundane videos in a day...most which have made the rounds 50 times already.. and the game invites!  And heaven help you if you "like" a product or store because that is all you get is advertising from them, makes me want to stop shopping there!  Oh well, that's life these dsys.

Respected Contributor

I have learned to adjust settings so I don't see so much junk on FB.  I am 62 and am friends with many younger people (30-somethings) so I can see photos of their kids but I am not interested in their Candy Crush playing or their sharing links they think are interesting and posting about if they got a pimple on their face that day (not exaggerating here).

I've learned to click on "show fewer posts like this" or choose not to get any posts from some yet still remain friends with them.  FB doesn't make me nuts.  I've learned to manage it.

Honored Contributor

I have under 15 "friends" who are mostly family.  I block all of their posts.  If I want to see what they're up to, I go to their FB pages.  I use FB to post photos.  I use email for messages.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986