Honored Contributor

Re: What makes you nuts about Facebook?

i use facebook multiple times daily and have a business and personal account. i did not sign up for notifications to my email nor do i have it on my phone. i use it on my computer only.

do people post things i dont like? of course......i dont expect everyone to be the same as me or have the same views as me. sometimes their posts are so outrageous i enjoy seeing it just to get a laugh or roll my eyes. LOL i dont see everyones posts daily because i am not on there 24/7/365.

i dont think i have ever had to unfriend or block anyone.

LOVE facebook for keeping in touch with my family and friends around the world.....it keeps us just a bit closer to each other. we dont get to see each other, but we sure can share each others daily lives when we can! i also use twitter, instagram, google+, and linkedin.

for me, facebook has been a very positive experience.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Nothing about FB bothers me because I'm not a FB addict the way so many people are today.  I paid no attention to it at all until about a year ago.  I only started because that's where family and friends post their pictures and news of events now.  So, when someone says their vacation photos or their daughter's wedding video is up on FB, I can check it out.  I don't even visit it every day if I'm not looking for something specific.  It's just not a big part of my life. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

That can be easily remedied by being more selective about who you choose as friends on Facebook.  If you don't like what people post on Facebook or the language they use, then you've obviously friended the wrong people.  You're in complete control of that.

It's not a Facebook issue - It's a friends issue.  And easily fixed.  Why wait to unfriend them if this is so bothersome?  It takes two seconds.

I know this IS NOT a Facebook issue.  It's about something on Facebook.  Many of these people are friends of my daughter and SIL who reply to their posts.  So my control there is to not read my daughter or SIL's FB posts, which I would miss. 

What wait?  Because we're in the middle of one heck of a move; I'm on a new med that's got my brain fried and I'm lucky that I can function well enough to construct a sentence, such as what I'm doing now and which has affected my memory - that's why.  I actually need to write myself a to-do Post-it.

Trusted Contributor

What makes me nuts about Facebook are the constant "so and so liked this" on my news feed. I really don't care that someone liked a video or a meme or someone else's new pictures.

And then of course, the constant sharer. I have a few people that I have now blocked from my feed that share EVERYTHING. UGH!

Regular Contributor

I don't hate anything about it.  

I have unfollowed & removed from my news feed a few folks for different reasons----- bad language, lots of partying, politics- folks from both parties whom actually seem to hate the other side, religion- we are people of faith & believe the world need more, but those that beat others down if you are of a different faith are also removed from my news feed.

I like keeping in touch with family & friends, getting heads up on sales.  I've joined a closed book club & I love it!  I also joined two closed arthritis support groups- talking with others with the same health issues is helpful, and our tiny small town has  it's own closed page & this is good for keeping up on crime & things currently  happening in town.

There are also loads of good things there like folks with the same  interests- cooking & canning, gardening, reading, & positive uplifting groups/pages.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy FB for what it is for me and the way I use it - to keep up with non-local family and friends, and to get information anout things I enjoy/am interested in.

The only thing that makes me crazy is FZb's insistence on reverting to "most Important" posts instead of my preferred "most recent" posts. They're changing it up more often now, and it annoys me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

That can be easily remedied by being more selective about who you choose as friends on Facebook.  If you don't like what people post on Facebook or the language they use, then you've obviously friended the wrong people.  You're in complete control of that.

It's not a Facebook issue - It's a friends issue.  And easily fixed.  Why wait to unfriend them if this is so bothersome?  It takes two seconds.

I know this IS NOT a Facebook issue.  It's about something on Facebook.  Many of these people are friends of my daughter and SIL who reply to their posts.  So my control there is to not read my daughter or SIL's FB posts, which I would miss. 

What wait?  Because we're in the middle of one heck of a move; I'm on a new med that's got my brain fried and I'm lucky that I can function well enough to construct a sentence, such as what I'm doing now and which has affected my memory - that's why.  I actually need to write myself a to-do Post-it.

I actually was just trying to help.  You said you're not very Facebook-literate, so I offered the most simple solution.  There are all sorts of ways to tweak your settings and to personalize everything to the way you like it, but you were very offended about some of the language, so I thought eliminating the people who consistently use that language would eliminate the problem.  Of course I had no way of knowing that it was friends of your children who are posting things that are offensive to you.  That's a whole other issue.  You can turn off email notifications if you don't want those kinds of things popping up in your email, though.  Then you wouldn't be subjected to each & every reply, but you could still keep reading what your chldren post.

In my experience, learning how to use Facebook is the key to making it an enjoyable experience.  It's not for everyone, of course, but it has brought my faraway friends and family closer together.  I'm careful with my settings and with who I choose as friends.  I've been using it for years, and have never once had a negative experience.

As I said, it's not for everyone, but I've found that the people who complain about it most (and I don't mean you!) are usually the ones who don't know very much about it.

I hope all goes well with your new medication.  I've been down that road, and it's not always easy.  And yes, I am grateful every day for post-its too!

Esteemed Contributor

@curlywhitedog wrote:

I enjoy using FB, it helps me keep up with family and old friends and what's going on in their lives.  Once you find your way around FB you'll start to become more aware of the setting choices you can make that will help the experience be more enjoyable.

First thing you need to know is that although you can unfriend anyone you want to anytime you want to, you can just as easily avoid unpleasant interractions by deleting out their notifications from your feed...ah, blessed peace once you figure out how to do that.  Those people still remain "friends" but you no longer have to read what they're saying or see whatever it is they are posting.  The political season is upon us and while I acknowledge everyone's right to their own particular views, I have no  interest in seeing things that are disrespectful to any of the candidates so I deal with those things by either taking those posters out of my feed or by telling FB that I no longer want to see anything from certain sources, particular tv stations, news papers, etc. 

People who fall for the Bill Gates is giving away $1,000 if you forward this scam or the "like" this post and win a free trip to Disney are the ones that end up with their accounts compromised.  If you're savvy enough to avoid those pitfalls you can go blissfully on your way with minimum secuity risk. 

I know FB is not for everyone but for those of us who use it to its best advantage, it can be a fun thing.

Maria

I absolutely agree!  In my experience, Facebook can be whatever you want it to be.  Different people use it in different ways, and that's what's so nice about it.

None of my friends post every minute of every day.  My newsfeed is almost always filled with posts & photos that are truly of interest to me, posted by people I really care about.  Lots of the things that people blame Facebook for is really the fault of who they choose as friends.  If what they're seeing is boring or silly, then it's their friends who are boring & silly, not Facebook!

My family lives all over the world, and we are so much closer because of Facebook than we ever would be without it.  That's just one of the reasons I love it.  I would never talk anyone into it, but I am so grateful to have it.

Esteemed Contributor

@child prodigy wrote:

IMO, there's really no way to completely avoid unpleasant language and pictures on Facebook. It's what comes in on your daily feed,  probably not particularly what your friends say. Some of the articles and pictures can be rather disturbing. Facebook is not for everyone. I would drop it if I were you.

Of course there are ways to avoid unpleasant language and photos.  It's easy, and not at all complicated.

Your newsfeed shows what's been posted by your friends.  It's what they've chosen to share -- updates, posts, links to articles, whatever.  So it's directly related to who you choose to accept as friends.  Facebook isn't forcing any of that on anyone.  It's the people who use it, the ones you allow to appear on your newsfeed.

The issue is easily avoided by choosing friends who don't post things that you find offensive.  Personally, I've never found this to be a problem at all.

Honored Contributor

The political ads drive me crazy and as far as I know there is no way to get rid of them.