Esteemed Contributor

Re: What makes you nuts about Facebook?

You can either Unfriend them or remain FB friends but unfollow them.  I've had to unfollow a few people but not for the foul language.  Some of them were sharing 50+ recipes/cutesy or schmaltzy pictures/youtube clips a day.  I didn't want all that clogging my newsfeed so I unfollowed them.  It also gets really bad in a presidential election year.  People want to share everything promoting their political party and putting down the other one.  I don't think anyone has ever changed their political party from facebook posts.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy using FB, it helps me keep up with family and old friends and what's going on in their lives.  Once you find your way around FB you'll start to become more aware of the setting choices you can make that will help the experience be more enjoyable.

First thing you need to know is that although you can unfriend anyone you want to anytime you want to, you can just as easily avoid unpleasant interractions by deleting out their notifications from your feed...ah, blessed peace once you figure out how to do that.  Those people still remain "friends" but you no longer have to read what they're saying or see whatever it is they are posting.  The political season is upon us and while I acknowledge everyone's right to their own particular views, I have no  interest in seeing things that are disrespectful to any of the candidates so I deal with those things by either taking those posters out of my feed or by telling FB that I no longer want to see anything from certain sources, particular tv stations, news papers, etc. 

People who fall for the Bill Gates is giving away $1,000 if you forward this scam or the "like" this post and win a free trip to Disney are the ones that end up with their accounts compromised.  If you're savvy enough to avoid those pitfalls you can go blissfully on your way with minimum secuity risk. 

I know FB is not for everyone but for those of us who use it to its best advantage, it can be a fun thing.

Maria

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I dumped ole facebook when they kept changing my privacy settings (without notifying me!) and some nut started stalking me. People please be aware that anybody ( a friend of a friend of a friend etc) can steal your pics and set up a phoney facebook page with YOUR pics (and info) and then the fun REALLY starts. Nothing I want to be part of ever! So I guess the nuts are what drive me nuts about FB. 

Honored Contributor

Gosh- I love Facebook.  I'm on there all the time.  If you're getting too many notifications, adjust your settings and turn them off.  If a friend bugs you, defriend them.  Easy.  Facebook for me is a really pleasant experience.  Memes and all!  Love most of them.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Gosh- I love Facebook.  I'm on there all the time.  If you're getting too many notifications, adjust your settings and turn them off.  If a friend bugs you, defriend them.  Easy.  Facebook for me is a really pleasant experience.  Memes and all!  Love most of them.

Most of the memes don't bother me. Although, yesterday I saw one that had over 300,000 shares . It was a candidate shaking hands with someone. It was a photoshop winner of a contest on 2007. I try not to share things until I know they are factual.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My big huge Italian family is on it and we now have yet another way to fight with one another, even across state lines, because the Italian language and hand gestures we make when we see each other in person just weren't obnoxious enough.   

Honored Contributor

One of my DH's relatives played out her affair, divorce and custody battle on FB.  I didn't unfriend her because I didn't want to cause a rift but I unfollowed her so I see nothing from her anymore. 

I unfollow anyone who continually uses foul language.  Yes there are a lot of people who fall for all the garbage about winning gift cards, etc.  I just roll my eyes and scroll past them.  They aren't harming me.

There are a few organizations I had to unlike that dealt with animal rescue. While I agree with what they are doing, I couldn't take the horrendous pictures of the abuse that were constantly being posted and right in my face on my newsfeed.  I was getting so upset, I felt like I had no choice.    

Esteemed Contributor

I love Facebook!  Keeps me in touch with people I would never have kept up with (distance) otherwise.

Go to your FRIENDS box and read about "restricted" and" acquaintances" and put the offenders in one of those categories. 

That way, you can go to their page and see updates but they don't all show up on your feed. 

Learn to enjoy Facebook, it is a wonderful experience!

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

That can be easily remedied by being more selective about who you choose as friends on Facebook.  If you don't like what people post on Facebook or the language they use, then you've obviously friended the wrong people.  You're in complete control of that.

It's not a Facebook issue - It's a friends issue.  And easily fixed.  Why wait to unfriend them if this is so bothersome?  It takes two seconds.

This. And you don't even have to unfriend people, you can just alter your settings so that what they post doesn't show up on your own wall. That way you can stay friends with whatever relative you don't really like and  not offend the person, but you never have to see what he or she posts. If you take some time to look things up in the Help section and learn how to take advantage of your settings and the tools Facebook offers, you might find you have more control over your content than you think. Even if you're in a group on Facebook and there's a poster in the group that you don't like, you can block posts from just that person from showing up when you read the comments from the other group members.

I LOVE Facebook. I use it to follow many groups and organizations and share news and events with friends. I'm very politically active and Facebook helps me keep track of events around town, connects me with my groups, allows me to create an event to invite others to or accept invites from others. It's a very powerful tool for organizers and activists, whether you're organizing a political group or a knitting group.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

That can be easily remedied by being more selective about who you choose as friends on Facebook.  If you don't like what people post on Facebook or the language they use, then you've obviously friended the wrong people.  You're in complete control of that.

It's not a Facebook issue - It's a friends issue.  And easily fixed.  Why wait to unfriend them if this is so bothersome?  It takes two seconds.

This. And you don't even have to unfriend people, you can just alter your settings so that what they post doesn't show up on your own wall. That way you can stay friends with whatever relative you don't really like and  not offend the person, but you never have to see what he or she posts. If you take some time to look things up in the Help section and learn how to take advantage of your settings and the tools Facebook offers, you might find you have more control over your content than you think. Even if you're in a group on Facebook and there's a poster in the group that you don't like, you can block posts from just that person from showing up when you read the comments from the other group members.

I LOVE Facebook. I use it to follow many groups and organizations and share news and events with friends. I'm very politically active and Facebook helps me keep track of events around town, connects me with my groups, allows me to create an event to invite others to or accept invites from others. It's a very powerful tool for organizers and activists, whether you're organizing a political group or a knitting group.

Hi ChynnaBlue, Smiley Happy

ITA with you about FB.  I use it in this way, as well.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.