Super Contributor

Re: What makes a Person Confident in your Opinion?

@dooBdoo wrote:

I think genuine confidence is much more likely to be quiet than loud and more innately humble than pretentious.   There's something powerful and palpable about quiet confidence.   More often than not, being loud might be mistaken for self-assurance but it's often a sign of insecurity and low self-esteem.  (Narcissistic people present as "confident" and boastful, but in fact have significant insecurities and tender, complex emotional wounds.)

A self-confident person is perceptive and discerning in whether to  "speak their mind" or not.   Think of the person who brags of "telling it like it is," and being "brutally honest," and if you look closely you'll see it's the brutality and putdowns they actually relish.    True confidence isn't threatened by others, so you won't see a confident person brow-beating others in an attempt to force them to agree, they don't right-fight, and you won't see them belittling, insulting, and mocking others to "win" a discussion.  They don't diminish others to elevate themselves.   They're flexible, so they can hear other views and evaluate them, listen and absorb constructive feedback or criticism.    They're able to be self-aware, self-reflective.

As much as "bully" is an overused word these days, I think it's the perfect antonym for a person who possesses and cultivates authentic self-confidence.   

@dooBdoo, I hope you are well Smiley Happy   I agree with everything you said. You always have a great way with words!   

Honored Contributor

I think some people are louder because they want people to think they are confident.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Is there a reason the word "louder" is in quotation marks in your original post?  Did you mean for the term "louder" to refer to something different than aural decibel level?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @Yankee2000!   I'm doing fairly well...  hope you and yours are happy, healthy, and enjoying the holidays.   Thanks for your kind words.  That's awfully nice of you to say.   Sometimes I hit the mark, sometimes I trip over it! 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A confident person believes in themself and doesn't have a need to prove anything.  I think it goes along with self esteem.  I don't see a confident person needing to be loud to get a point across.  I think those that are loud lack confidence.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes people who speak loudly......are hard of hearing

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Sometimes people who speak loudly......are hard of hearing

LOL...my husband and I have a signal to let him know he's speaking too loudly.

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving! I would have to say that confident people speak their mind and are just "louder" in general.

I go by what the dictionary defines it as cause that's what it is.

adjective

having strong belief or full assurance; sure:
confident of fulfillment.
sure of oneself; having no uncertainty about one's own abilities, correctness, successfulness, etc.; self-confident; bold:
a confident speaker.
excessively bold; presumptuous.
*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@JBKO wrote:
Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving! I would have to say that confident people speak their mind and are just "louder" in general.

I go by what the dictionary defines it as cause that's what it is.

adjective

having strong belief or full assurance; sure:
confident of fulfillment.
sure of oneself; having no uncertainty about one's own abilities, correctness, successfulness, etc.; self-confident; bold:
a confident speaker.
excessively bold; presumptuous.

That's great. But odd that "presumptuous" is included since that leans toward arrogance & overconfidence.

That being said anybody can c&p from a dictionary with dry definitions.

The OP asked for posters' opinions on what makes a person confident.  I think all the other posts with personally held opinions about characteristics of confident people are spot on.

Interesting topic @JBKO!

Super Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Confident people admit when they're wrong, admit when they don't know something, and are willing to learn from other people 

Agree!